Thread: RAF Board of Inquiry records at Kew (?)

Thanks

Default RAF Board of Inquiry records at Kew (?)

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone can help? I'm looking for the records of the Boards of Inquiry that followed the loss of two Halifaxes, one in September 1943 the other February 1944 (one was a training loss on an operational squadron, the other a 'management issue' on return from an operational flight). DoRiS doesn't hold them but I have been unable to find where in The National Archives' files these are held (if at all). An enquiry to Kew wasn't fruitful and when I last asked, the staff unfortunately didn't know (the search on their website was futile). Are they in AVIA 5 somewhere or buried in one of the large AIR volumes? I have seen references to these BoI in the Form 1180 accident record cards and (Australian) service records so they may be out there.

With grateful thanks

Zidante

Thanks

A copy of the precis will be in the casualty pack held by AHB. There might have been an AIB investigation (which are in AVIA 5) to search for those put a - into the serial number between the letter(s) and numbers.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Very many thanks Al. I shall await the depositing of the casualty packs at Kew, there didn't seem to be anything in AVIA 5, but then with Discovery you never know! I shall have a look again at Kew this Friday.
    Thanks and best wishes.

Thanks

Hi
    On this subject Is a board of enquiry the same as a court of enquiry ? I obtained a copy of the court enquiry In to my brothers crash In a Halifax from Australia,this was because the
    Pilot and Rear Gunner were Australians
    Regards
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Yes, they are the same, so in this case if one of the crew was Australian or Canadian a copy could be obtained from their casualty files. If there is more than one from either nation go for the more senior individual.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Alan
    A million thanks for reply
    Harold Dummer