Thread: Dakota squadrons

Thanks

Default Dakota squadrons

Hi
    Can anyone please tell me Squadron No,s of Dakota Squadrons based In Germany from 1945 untill 1946 ,also any books published with regard to this period, I am researching this topic for a 89 year old friend, he has sent away for his records,his sevice No Is 3013233 and his name Is Fred Williams,he was a ground engineer servicing these aircraft,once again a million thanks.
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Hi Harold,
    for this squadron and particular period I would recommend following book:
    Rawlings, J. D. R.: Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft. Jane's Ltd., London 1982

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Start off with Bill Taylor's book "The RAF in Germany Since 1945". This has very little about transport aircraft but does have an impressive Bibliography!

Thetford's book RAF Aircraft lists all the Dakota Sqns and Jeff Jefford's book RAF gives the distribution of those sqns by base.

One problem will be that transport sqns, by their very nature, spent lots of time in other peoples airspace.

When Fred Williams' RoS comes back it will lay out exactly where, what and when he was involved with and as we all know - well I do - memory plays tricks on us all. He's as likely to have been employed on a Visiting Aircraft Servicing Flight as a Sqn 1st/2nd line team.

That should get you started but also get your friend to produce his photograph albums, his discharge book and any memorabilia he has - these often give useful clues.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi
    Many thanks for Quick reply my friend has his discharge book that Is one step on the ladder,I notice Colin lives In Northampton,I myself live In Kettering,It sounds as though a pint may be In order If ever we meet,Ounce again A Million thanks
    Harold Dummer