Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 231 OCU Accidents - Bassingbourn

Thanks

Default 231 OCU Accidents - Bassingbourn

Thank you.

We are also looking for the crew names for the following 231 OCU accidents to add to our list of rememberance;

Meteor PR.10. WB158. 28/5/52 Pilots name?
    Canberra B.2. WE116. 20/8/52 Crew names?
    " B.2. WF888. 19/12/52 Crew names?
    " B.2. WD981. 24/6/54. (Flt Lt Peter Wyche & Plt Off John King - but who was the third crew member lost?)
    " T.4. WJ871. 24/2/56. (Flg Off J Spokes - but who was the second crew member lost?)
    " PR.3 WE143. 23/6/58. (Nav survived - but what was the pilots name who died?)

Any info would be much appreciated by myself and the museum.

Rob

www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk
    Last edited by Jagan; 12th July 2014 at 14:53.

Thanks

If you use Geoff's search engine for the dates in the AFM format, or the base name Bassingbourne
    http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/searchafm.php

one name stands out for 24 Jun 1954 - FS Jack James INGELSON

23 June 1958 - P/O Peter Shelton Alcock died, stationed at Bassingbourne

24 Feb 1956 - F/Lt Herbert James BRICE stationed at Bassingbourne

24 December 1952 from Bassingbourne
    P/O Terence Joseph McMillan
    P/O Thomas William Tench
    P/O Henry Lloyd Westwood

20 |August 1952
    P/O John Howard Vincent
    P/O Peter Tinley
    P/O John Leonard Edmiston

28 May 1952
    P/O George Malcolm Cowper

Now, someone will have C Cummings books and confirm all that, I'm sure they get mentions in newspapers if one searched british newspaper archives etc etc
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Strangely, Colin Cummings has Colin Cummings' books - complete B*&&^%ks most of them!

However, he has Cowper as being 21. He also records McMillan, Tench and Westwood as being 19 Dec 52 and not 24 Dec.

Colin Cummings (no relation)

Thanks

Dont be giving out Colin!! I was typing in a hurry and quoting from the AFM.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Guys, what can I say - thank you so much for pointing those out, and what a great search engine that is!

Interestingly the first three Bassingbourn fatalities on there are unknown to me. Is there a way of finding out in which incident they lost their lives?

Rob

EDIT.. Can a moderator please alter the thread title, as there is no "e" on the end of Bassingbourn.!

Last edited by Robbo1966; 12th July 2014 at 05:18.

Thanks

Robbo,

I'm sorry to be a bit obtuse but do you mean Alcock, Brice and Mcmillan or the Mcmillan crew.

On reading the Thread, I thought we had put the crews with their aircraft when taking the Posts together - put me straight please.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Apologies Colin, i was getting ahead of myself. I was referring to Reeves, Penny and Reed on Geoffs Search engine re Bassingbourn in 1949 and 1951 respectively. As 231 airmen I was curious to know in which incidents they died.

Rob

Thanks

Hello Rob

Re your post #1, have you checked the Board of Trade (Accidents Investigation Branch) BT Series documents are Open at TNA, Kew, for this period? Many RAF accidents were reported to the Air Ministry Accidents Branch (AIB) for assistance (or when certain a/c behaviour was observed) regardless of what the Accident Card says, taken over by the Min Civil Aviation, Min for Transport, Board of Trade and Dept of Transport etc. A photocopy BT file from TNA which I was shown by a Pilot's son whilst on holiday was very detailed (about 60 or more pages) and the Accidents Branch never formally investigated that one!

Three of your aircraft appeared without difficulty ...

BT 233/130 Ministry of Civil Aviation and Successors: Services Accidents Investigation ( AI/S Series) Files. Canberra B2, WF888: near Bassingbourne, Herts., 19 Dec. 1952.

BT 233/217 Ministry of Civil Aviation and Successors: Services Accidents Investigation ( AI/S Series) Files. Canberra B2, WD981: 5 miles east of Cambridge, 24 June 1954.

BT 233/326 Ministry of Civil Aviation and Successors: Services Accidents Investigation ( AI/S Series) Files. Canberra T4, WJ871: near Stilton, Hunts., 24 Feb. 1956.

A search by make, type, Mk or various combinations of date etc might reveal more?
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 12th July 2014 at 09:31.

Thanks

Further to my post #8, I attach a page example from the BT 233/341 file held at TNA, Kew, for Canberra WT328 taken in I.O.M. (via Denys Hall), giving names of crew / occupants. Click on it for a clearer copy and click cursor+.

Last edited by Mark Hood; 12th July 2014 at 10:07.

Thanks

Thanks Mark. It's mainly placing names with incidents that I'm looking to do at the moment - rather than going into detail re the circumstances or cause of the crash. Photos help to place the exact spot of the crash, and also help to jog the memories of locals who visit the museum and contribute to the general story of the airfield.

Rob