Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ITW Scarborough WWII

Thanks

Default ITW Scarborough WWII

Hi, I am looking for information on ITW training in scarborough during WWII. Does anyone know of this was to train specific roles, ie pilots, or did they train anyone entering the RAF, was it a school and if so what dates was it open? In addition are there any records?
    Thanks
    Caroline.

Thanks

Caroline

Initial Training Wings were set up in various towns throughout the UK. Recruits were billeted throughout the town (in hotels and boarding houses) and lectures and training was undertaken at local amenities.

The six week training programme was designed to improve discipline, physical fitness and mental alertness and provide a sound basic knowledge of the Royal Air force.

The syllabus included Armament, Engines, Hygiene and Sanitation, RAF Law and Discipline, Administration and Organisation, Mathematics, Meteorology, Navigation, The Principal of Flight and Signals.

I have more details if you are interested in this aspect of training.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks Pete for the reply, I take it anyone joined then? What I am trying to establish is why some French airman would be in the area. I am thinking they were posted there before joining their squadron? As far I know they were gunners. I have a photograph of two men and I am trying to identify them. I know there were a few french RAF squadrons, and I have contacted Elvington and the man who hosts the halifax346347 website etc with no luck, so I am starting from the beginning! I had not realised before that they had to learn so much! Very fascinating and I would welcome any information into these brave mens lifes.
    Best Regards
    Caroline.

Thanks

Caroline,

You mentioned ITW (Initial Training Wing), mostly where new recruits were taken from being civies to joining the RAF. Very basic training but usually the RAF had an idea who was going to do what but it was from this point they either proved themselves or were put to other duties. If you check out my web site you will see what they got up to at ITW.

Early on in the war and for quite some time, the RAF were very reluctant to let even qualified pilots from other countries loose with their planes, especially if they could not speak English and it was part way through the Battle of Britain that they started to trust them so l would suggest that they were taken back to basics to learn the British way but that may depend on the period you are talking about. You may get something from the ITW records at Kew.

Pete will be able to add more to this but l hope that heps.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hi Caroline,

[I have a photograph of two men and I am trying to identify them.]

Do you know the year of this photograph ?

Bertrand

Thanks

Hi,

Nick - Thankyou so much, I have read some of your website and it is very moving and a great insight into the lives of these men. It has however made me realise that they may not have been there for initial training as it was later on in the war.

As Bertrand asks, the photograph was taken around September 1944. I am thinking it was way too late for initial training??? I believe the french arrived in 1943, so there may be another possible reason for them being in Scarborough? the mystery continues!

Thanks Caroline.

Thanks

Caroline,

Why have you mentioned ITW? Is that mentioned elsewhere? These records are not specific for Sergeants or below but generally indicate officers coming in or out.

Can you tell us any more?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

One thing that has not been specifically mentioned on this thread is that ALL the pupils under training in these units (ITWs) were aircrew under training - absolutely NO groundies! Those who volunteered for duties other than flying would make their way into the RAF via other distinct channels. You will notice that all the subjects mentioned by PeteT are relevant to aircrew, although not all subjects to every such trade. However most were common to most flying trades, or had a bearing in understanding the service they were now members of (organisation & administration, hygiene and sanitation, RAF Law and Discipline, etc).
    David D

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your replies. Nick I mentioned ITW because a recent google search of Scarborough highlighted that ITW took place there. I have been searching for more than 3 years, with not much luck and was trying to take a fresh look with the hope of generating new leads. If anyone is interested the photograph can be found on this page http://halifax346et347.canalblog.com...che/p20-0.html about a third of the way down dated 2 Juin 2012, titled "AVIS DE RECHERCHE
    CONCERNANT DEUX AVIATEURS FRANCAIS". I have identified Scarborough from the railings in the backgound and was curious as to why they were there, as the nearest french base was at Elvington. Were they simply on leave or possibly for training? The man on the left has been identified as a gunner from his pin, and I have been told they were both sargent chefs, according the strips on thier hats!

Best regards
    Caroline.

Thanks

Hi Caroline

I don't wish to throw a spanner in the works but No 23 (French) ITW was actually just down the road (A165 to be precise) at Filey from 1 Oct 1943 until 27 Nov 1944, which fits your time frame nicely.

Scarborough was home to No 10 ITW from13 Dec 1940 to 18 Jun 1945 for PNB (Pilot, Navigator & Air Bomber), No 11 ITW from 15 Mar 1941 to 10 Oct 1944 (PNB)

There were also ITWs further south at Bridlington as well.

Malcolm