Thread: Datoka KG880 - which unit in May 1945?

Thanks

Default Datoka KG880 - which unit in May 1945?

Would anyone be able to provide information on which unit of this a/c in May 1945?

I have a logbook recording a flight from B.56 Brussels - B.156 Luneburg and B.156 Luneburg - B.160 Copenhagen on May 5th, 1945 in Dakota '880'. As far as I can figure out this must be KG880.

The pilot was then at 111 Wing, HQ, but the ORB indicate, that he was passenger in another aircraft on the trip to Copenhagen. Hence, I am trying to hunt down a reference for this aircraft.

Thank you in advance.

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello,

No RAF Dakota carried the serial KG880. Possibly KJ880, No.147 Squadron.

Col.

Thanks

Ny mistanke. Sorry!

thank you.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

G'day Mikkel

The other Dakota is FD880 but it served in India with No. 194 (T) Squadron.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Chris
    Thank you for following up on this as well.

The odd thing is, that No. 147 Sqn ORB has KJ880 flying from Croydon to Bruxelles and then on to Manston on 5.5.45, and at the same time I have a logbook stating that the pilot flew Dakota '880' from Bruxelles to Luneburg and then on to Copenhagen. There is an error somewhere, but hard to determine where. Not unusual for these documents, I know.

Mikkel

Thanks

Greetings Mikkel,

Very late in the dialogue, I'm afraid!! But I only came across your discourse two days ago, while I was 'looking up' Dakota 880! None the less, I have some detailed information about "880's" use between March 1945 & March 1946. I hope it is still of some use/interest to you...

upon scrutinizing my Father's Log Book (F/Lt. Eric R Blake) for his time with 147 Squadron (September '44 - May '46) I note he flew "880" during 20 days, between March '45 & March '46, logging a total of 52hrs 25mins at "880's" controls.

In May '45 he only recorded three flights in "880": 26th Croydon-Copenhagen; 27th Copenhagen-Stade (Hamburg); 27th Stade-Rotterdam-Croydon.

All the best to you, Sincerely,

Stewart R Blake, Northampton, UK.

Thanks

Stewart
    Thank you - it's never to late.

This confirms that KJ880 were in Copenhagen at some point, but unfortunately does not solve my mystery.

Mikkel