Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer Ronnie McKillop

Thanks

Default Officer Ronnie McKillop

I wonder if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction for finding out more about the RAF service of my uncle Ronnie McKillop. I live in Scotland so have no access to Kew and am not sure where else to go.
    He was born in Greenock, Renfrewshire in 1921, parents Alexander and Christina McKillop.
    I know he was in Egypt some time between December 1942 and May 1944 as I have photos of him with my father (who was there with the Seaforths) there.
    He only had one son, who died some years ago, so my sister and I must be his closest living relatives.
    Is there any way I can find out more with so little to go on?
    I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.
    I could try to post photos if that would help.

Many thanks,
    Christine

Thanks

Christine, Hi. Welcome to the forum. From what you have told us, a brief summary of R G McKillop’s RAF career is below. Obtained from the London Gazette and BMD sites:

Born 8 Apr 1921.

Enlisted (1367314) after Aug 1940 at Edinburgh

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Appointment to commission. As Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): —
    Wt. Offs. 1367314 Ronald George McKILLOP (191230). 4th Dec. 1944.

Promoted Plt Off to Fg Off 4th June 1945- R. G. McKILLOP (191230).

Transfer between branches. The undermtd. to the Admin, and Spec. Duties Br.:—
    Flt. Lts. 11th July 1945. R. G. McKILLOP (191230).

MCKILLOP RONALD GEORGE Born 1921 Died Q3 1982 Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, England (Vol 13 Page 1667).

You now need to obtain his RAF Service Record from Disclosures at RAF Cranwell. That will have most of his postings. But it will be full of RAF acronyms. Many folk on this forum will be pleased to help to decode them!

Good luck

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Christine

Further to Peter's reply, for details as to how to obtain your uncle's service record go to https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records

Brian

Thanks

Thank you so much, Peter and Brian.
    That's a great help. I didn't even have a service number before.
    Really appreciate it.
    I'll be back if I can't "translate" what I find!

Christine

Thanks

Hi again,
    I finally have my uncle's official record (complete with seven pages of acronym explanations). I've been able to make out most of it, but it's all so bare and basic.
    I now know that after training in Canada and UK he was sent to the Middle East in September 1942 with 243 Wing, 33 Squadron.
    He was apparently wounded at some point as there is a record of him being discharged from hospital there in 1943 and eventually being sent back to the UK (RAF Cranfield) in 1944.
    Can anyone tell me what missions he was likely to have been flying while based in Egypt and how he was likely to have been wounded?
    Many thanks,
    Christine

Thanks

Christine,

You say he was with 33 Squadron, what dates? September 1942 until ????? in 1943. Any others?

There will be what are refereed to as the Squadron ORB's, Operational Records Books, that will describe each mission he went on, the other squadron members, success or otherwise plus other details on what happened when he was injured.

I am sure if you post his squadron numbers, if there are any others, someone will have the ORB's to help you.

Which training units did he go through?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com
    Last edited by NickFenton; 30th September 2014 at 00:10.

Thanks

Christine,

Your Uncle is mentioned in Vol. Two of Christopher Shore's, A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945:

Friday, 12 February 1943.

During the afternoon two Hurricanes of 33 squadron over the same convoy, intercepted a Ju 88 15 miles west of Benghazi. This was claimed shot down by Sgt McKillop, although he then had to bale out into the sea from where he was safely picked up.

British Claims:
    33 Sqn.
    Sgt. R G McKillop
    Hurricane IIc ..144
    Ju 88 probable
    1420-1555

British Casualties:
    33 Sqn.
    Hurricane IIc shot down in sea off Bersis in combat with S.79. Sgt McKillop safe.

See:
    A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945. Volume Two: North African Desert February 1942 - March 1943.
    Shores,Christopher, Giovanni Massimello et al.
    London:Grub Street,2012.
    p.632

There is no further mention of your Uncle in Vol. Two (or in Volume One), of the abovementioned book, nor is their clarification on the Ju 88/S.79 issue.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th September 2014 at 09:43.

Thanks

Hi, Nick,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure how much would be needed.

He enlisted in Nov 1940, aged 19, and did at least part of his training in Canada (33SFTS).
    He was sent to the Middle East on 4th September 1942 and apparently joined 33 Squadron in January 1943.

The next entry in the papers I have been given is his discharge from first a mobile field hospital in September 1943, and then from RAF Hospital HQ Aden on 2 October 43.

He was posted back to the UK, presumably with the squadron in April 44, as the next date in the record is on 13 July, 1944, when he is at RAF Cranfield. (I presume he had been supporting D-Day in the air along with the Squadron?)

He was later with at least three other squadrons: 567, 288 and 595, although these annotations are a bit unclear. There is a reference to 51OTU although I don't know if he was training or being trained.

On 5th June, 1945 he was classified as "permanently unfit for full flying duties" and transferred to the Admin and Special Duties Branch. He ended the war at Hendon and left the RAF in August 1946.

If anyone can fill in any gaps for me, such as which aircraft he might have flown, on what missions and where, etc., or how he might have been wounded, I would be very grateful.

I think the most amazing thing in all of this is that he in the RAF, my father (his brother) in the army and their sister, nursing, all met up in Egypt during the war. Quite a coincidence!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
    Christine

Thanks

Thank you so much, Col, and sorry for not acknowledging your help earlier. I'm afraid I didn't get an email saying there had been a reply.
    That's fantastic information and really helps.
    Best wishes,
    Christine

Thanks

He joined 33 Squadron on January 3rd 1943 from 3 RSU and he was posted to 2 DF on July 14th 1944 (source: 33 Sq. ORB).

He later joined 567 Squadron and then 288 Squadron on February 5th 1945 and 595 Squadron on March 24th 1945 (source: 288 Sq. ORB).

John Engelsted