Thread: Understanding Form 78

Thanks

Default Understanding Form 78

Hi

I am having a little difficulty in understanding an AMF 78. I have a copy of the AM Form 78 for a Halifax I am looking in to, most of it is straightforward. The contract number I understand and is correct, RAF No is right, contractor is right as English Electric, its movements are:

Col
    1. 45 MU Date. 19-06-42 Authority. 16325A
    2. 76 Sqn Date. 28-06-42 Authority. 1623A
    3. M-East-D Date. 10-07-42 Authority. Fly Fer/003/10-07-42
    4. Blank
    5. M. East Date. 06-10-42 Authority. Serial No
    6. SOC Date. 01-03-44 Authority. Soiul (can’t read it properly)

I can see it was first taken to 45 MU then assigned to 76 Sqn, I know it was flown to the Middle East on the 10-07-42 so I assume Fly Fer/003/10-07-42 means flown-ferried 10-07-42 and it did take three legs to get there.

My questions are:
    On Col 5 what does ‘Serial No’ mean as the authority? By stating M East obviously what it refers too happened out there, in Oct 42 she was with 462 ME and on ops. Is ‘Serial No’ code for something in the RAF other than a serial number?

I can not read Col 6 properly but it was SOC 01-03-44 which is correct.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Last edited by Welshbob; 21st July 2014 at 19:36.

Thanks

This serial number is the sequential number of the message (either originator or receiver depending on the whim of the clerk).

All messages w/t, post recorded etc were listed in sent order in the outgoing message logbook of the origination unit. The number given was added to the message text.

Likewise all messages received were recorded in the incoming message logbook of the receiver unit and given a sequential number in reception order.

Sometimes for broadcast messages, orders etc the serial was used eg POR XXX for Personnel Occurance Report, clause XXX.

Same as Telex and Fax messages books in company offices (if you are of that pre email era)

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 21st July 2014 at 19:56.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross

Thank you for your reply. Forgive me for being a bit dim (nothing new lol) I still don't follow how just serial no in the authority line means anything, or is the unreadable part in Col 6 part of it I wonder and thats the reference?

Thanks

Text "Serial No" on it's own just means that the full message serial number giving authority for the transfer has not been filled in for that entry.

"Authority 16325A" means that the long hand entry should be "Authority for transfer is given by message Serial Number 16325A"

Most RAF Forms that have survived are index forms which would give the location/file reference for a document that amplifies. In accordance with Kings Regulations and Air Council Instructions the supporting documents were destroyed after the defined period leaving only the index card for archive.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you Ross for explaining, I understand now. Thats another mystery I can cross of my list just a million more to go hahahhahhahaha.

Cheers
    Rob