Thread: 3 Personnel Reception Centre

Thanks

Default 3 Personnel Reception Centre

I'm researching my great uncles and discovered that one spent from September 29, 1941 to October 27, 1941 at #3 Personnel Reception Centre. I was wondering what I might expect to find from the following record at the National Archives.

Reference:
    AIR 29/479

Description:
    3 Personnel Reception Centre. Based at Bournemouth (UK) in July 1941. Detachments also located at Hastings (UK) and RCAF (Royal Canadian Airforce) Innsworth (UK). Unit disbanded at Bournemouth (UK) in February 1946.

Note: with appendices

Date: 1941 July-1946 Jan.

When I submitted my estimate I did specify the date range he was there but without knowing how the record is indexed I didn't narrow it down further.

Thanks very much

Mike Smith

Thanks

Hi Mike

I would hazard a guess that you would glean very little on your great uncle from the ORB. Mine was there earlier that same year and again at the end of the War following repatriation from POW camp. I can't find an image of the ORB to refer to, but I seem to recall it was rare any man got a mention, and it mostly included accounts of various activities (all non-flying) whilst men awaited onward posting to an operational posting earlier in the War, or home later in the War. There were classes and lectures, etc., but I recall there is nothing to indicate which men participated in what, I'm afraid. Others on the forum may have had different experiences with other periods of the war, but those I looked at were scant on detail on the individual.

Sorry for the disappointing reply.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I am afraid I have the same experience with similar unit (PDC) as Steve in years 1945-1948. Only general info, courses and statistics of personnel posted in/out.
    Due to large number of movements I suppose it will be the same everywhere.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Mike,

What the guys have said is right. Lots of stuff about the everyday running of the place but very little on the guys passing through, unless he was staff, then it may said when he arrived and when he left, but l think you know that anyway.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Thanks very much guys.

Saves me a little money that can be better spent in other areas.

Mike