Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with three wartime deaths please

Thanks

Default Help with three wartime deaths please

Can anyone provide the cause of death of:

3259 Assistant Section Officer Hannah Patterson. Died 2 April 1942 aged 28; buried at Blyth.

753638 AC2 George Frederick Reeve. Died 10 November 1939 aged 40; buried at Manchester Southern Cemetery.

Both are believed to be connected to the Met Office, and I'm wondering if their deaths were due to natural causes.

Neither has a CWGC memorial stone.

132265 F/O Ernest Grant Hervey Stevenson. Died 17 October 1943 aged 26; buried at Fajara War Cemetery, Gambia. I'm interested in his unit and how he died. The thumbnail photo of his headstone of the TWGPP website is difficult to read, but I think I can make out the word 'action' which suggests a violent death.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Brian

Thanks

E.G.H. Stevenson was listed in the London Gazette on 23/2/43 as being promoted to Flying Officer (Emergency) in the Meteorological Branch.

His unit at the time of his death was 295 Wing. Ref. RAF.Org Casualties, 1943.

I hope this is of help.

Thanks

PATTERSON Hannah 3259 - listed as Died on Active Service, registered in York on a previous post of Henk's Unaccounted Airwomen and Airmen series:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...irmen-2-4-1942

The National Probate Calendar on ancestry.co.uk gives her place of death as the County Hospital, York.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

My thanks, Simon. My Google search of RAF Commands did not pick her up.

brian

Thanks

No problem Brian. She's one of my local casualties, being from the Blyth area.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Reeve DOAS (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...l?search=reeve) but his name does not seem to appear in the England and Wales register - Scotland or Northern Ireland maybe?

Brian

Thanks

This one is definitely very odd - if we've got all the facts correct! A 40-yr old accountant dying as an AC2 is a bit strange. He was, almost certainly (the experts will confirm!) above the age - at that time - when he could be 'Called-Up'? So, was his membership of the RAFVR a sort of week-end hobby? Something strange about this one!!
    HTH
    PeterDavies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Reeve's Probate calender entry says 'Killed on war service'.

Death appears to be registered in Dun district, Angus, Scotland. I've no credits to view his cert but one can easily sign up to the scotlandspeople service and by some.

E G H Stevenson is listed as DOAS
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...H.%20Stevenson
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 25th July 2014 at 15:48.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Peter,

The Air Ministry announced the formation of a Meteorological Section of the RAFVR during the spring of 1939, a call for volunteers to serve in the new section appearing in The Times on 12 May. Members were required to attend training sessions once or twice a week (occasionally Saturdays); in addition they were expected to attend a continuous period of 12 days per year. Officers received an allowance of 1s (one shilling) per evening instruction, other ranks 6d (six pence). As with other branches of the Volunteer Reserve members were under obligation to serve immediately with the RAF, at home or abroad, in the event of a national emergency.

No age limit was quoted in the article although the implication was that volunteers should be young men; conversely it was hoped that university and college lecturers, secondary school masters, post-graduate students and research workers would apply for the commissioned posts.

The only problem was that no proper arrangements had been made for a syllabus or locations for training, so few had received proper training come September 1939. Having looked at the service records of a few volunteers it appears that in the event most of their training was of the "on the job" variety.

I guess that Reeve was probably one of the oldest accepted, but it may be he was considered to have potential to fill a supervisorary post.

Brian

Thanks

Many thanks, Dennis. From my list of airfields requiring met cover in the event of war this points to him being at Montrose.

Brian