Thread: Indian Air Force Dakota

Thanks

Default Indian Air Force Dakota

G'day

I am hoping some of our Indian contributors may help me with the history of Dakota BJ762
    while Indian service. I have all the RAF and RCAF history on this aircraft.

Thanks.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

In the Aeromilitaria Summer 2014 issue, the author Phil Camp lists notes it as stored at Sulur in November 83. He also gives its date of transfer/induction into the IAF as 7.11.1962. It appears this was part of the Aid by the Canadian Government to shore up the Indian Transport fleet. Just two weeks earlier the India-China war broke out on the northern frontiers and a lot of western aid flew into the country. The operations lasted till 19.11.1962

Not much info, I am afraid. I do have a few logbooks of indian pilots with me. I never analysed the serial numbers in them, but can try and look up if this aircraft appears anywhere.

Col.

BJ762 was an Post 1947 allocated serial number for the Indian Air Force. No connection with the RAF numbers!
    Last edited by Jagan; 29th July 2014 at 00:09.

Thanks

Hi Jagan,

l realized that after l had posted the information, hence the deletion. (c/n 13476).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th July 2014 at 00:10.

Thanks

Turns out I only had one Logbook of an IAF pilot which had details of Daks Post 1962.. This one had BJ764 and BJ765 (Both were with 49 Sqn, Jorhat 1963). But No BJ762

Thanks

G'day Col and Jagan

I should have noted that the serial number was Indian.

Here is the magazine article I wrote on RCAF Dakota 994.

Cheers...Chris

RCAF Station Goose Bay's 'Station Flight' also known as the Search and Rescue Section, has its origins during the Second World War when the first aircraft, a Noorduyn Norseman s/n 2476, was delivered on the 30th of August 1942. Since then it used a number of different aircraft types which included the venerable Douglas Dakota. One of the Dakotas used by the Station Flight was Douglas Dakota Mk. IIISR s/n 994. It had a long and varied history prior to and including its service while at Goose Bay.

The aircraft was built at the Douglas aircraft factory in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma during 1944. It was then delivered to the USAAF as a C-47A Skytrain, s/n 42-93552. The aircraft was then transferred to the Royal Air Force as part of Lend-Lease. (Requisition Number 7204 and Contract Number AC-28405).

The Lend-Lease Bill, signed on the 14th of March 1941, allowed for the provision of United States war materials to be loaned or transferred to the United Kingdom. Over 70 different types of aircraft were sent overseas from America. Many of them were bought with cash by the British Purchasing Commission. The aircraft was delivered to the RAF on the 31st of May 1944 where it was designated as a Dakota Mk. III and given the new serial number KG659. It was flown to Dorval, Quebec where a ferry crew would then fly it to the United Kingdom. The Dakota transited through Goose Bay arriving in the UK on the 14th of June 1944. It was taken on strength with RAF Transport Command's No. 512 (T) Squadron on the 21st of August 1944 at RAF Station Holme-on-Spalding-Moor, Yorkshire. The 'Dak' as the Dakota is affectionately known as, was transferred to No. 48 (T) Squadron at RAF Station Down Ampney, Gloucestershire on the 15th of October 1944. This squadron also formed part of Transport Command.

On the 16th of September 1945, the Dakota was transferred to the RCAF at Down Ampney. It was temporarily shared by No.'s 435 'Chinthe'and 436 'Elephant' Transport Squadrons. It carried the individual radio call letter 'W'. The aircraft was taken over by No. 436 (T) Squadron on the 17th of March 1946. It carried the individual aircraft radio call letter 'Q' and later ODN*Q. The RAF Transport Command implemented a new four-letter code system. The first letter indicated the command, while the second letter the type of aircraft, in this case a Dakota, the third letter the squadron, while the fourth was the individual radio call letter. The asterisk represents the roundel on the side of the fuselage.

Dakota KG659 was purchased by the Canadian Government on the 16th of April 1946. It was then re-serialed as 994. The aircraft was ferried back to Canada through Goose Bay to RCAF Station Lincoln Park in Calgary, Alberta on the 20th of July 1946. Maintenance was performed on the aircraft twice prior to being re-introduced into squadron service as a Dakota Mk. 3SR. On the 21st of June 1950, it was taken on strength with Air Transport Command and assigned to No. 413 'Tusker' (Survey &Transport) Squadron at RCAF Station Rockcliffe (Ottawa), Ontario. The aircraft was coded AQ*B while in service with this squadron.

The Dakota 994 went on to be operated by No. 6 Repair Depot at RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario on the 20th of June 1951. Now coded CO*B, it made a heavy landing damaging the landing gear, wings and starboard engines when the port wing dipped while attempting a take-off from Edmonton, Alberta on the 4th of March 1952. The crew neglected to clean off the hoar frost that covered the wings. The aircraft was later repaired

This aircraft's association with Goose Bay began on the 20th of December 1952 after being assigned there by Air Transport Command. While at Goose Bay, the aircraft was used for aerial searches, medical evacuations and transport. Dakota 994 GA*A swung to port due to a partially deflated port tire on landing at Dorval, Quebec on the 26th of April 1958 while on a ferry flight. The port landing gear struck a soft spot after running off the runway and sank into the ground causing the Dakota to swing violently to port which tore off the tail wheel. The aircraft was repaired.

Canada decided to send the aircraft to the Royal Indian Air Force to help beef up its transport capability as a result of the India-China war on the northern frontiers. It was transferred to the RIAF on the 6th of November 1962 where it was subsequently re-serialed as BJ762.

Thanks

Chris,

Thanks for sharing. If i ever find out more on BJ762, I will definitely let you know..

May I suggest dispensing the "Royal" and "R" prefix in the last para when referring to the IAF? The prefix was discontinued on 26th Jan 1950 when India declared itself a republic. So the correct terms for reference has been Indian Air Force (1933-1945), Royal Indian Air Force (1945-50) and Indian Air Force (1950 - till present).

Thanks

G'day Jagan

Thanks for catching that.

I was just going by what was hand written on the aircraft record cards. I will amend my story.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Having just come across this forum and thread I was fascinated to read of the history of KG659. I have been going through my late father-in-law's logbook and this was the first Dakota that he flew following his assignment to 48 squadron at Down Ampney in June 1945.

Thank you very much for the information. Hopefully I'll be able to find references to some of his other aircraft.