Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Officer Patrick Devlin Asquith Graham D'Arcy

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Patrick Devlin Asquith Graham D'Arcy

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me!

My father recently died, and in going through his papers I discovered some relating to his brother, Patrick. Pat was killed when his plane crashed in Lincolnshire in 1944 so we never met him. A few days ago I Googled his name, and discovered a thread on this forum dating from 2003. A guest called Dave Johnson had asked for any information about him, and was answered by Terry and Alan W. If any of those people are still posting, I would love to contact you, first of all to know why you were asking about Pat, and also to share other information we have about him.

He was 10 years older than Dad, and always rather a romantic figure to the family. My own sons are particularly interested to hear more about him.

I would be so grateful if anyone could help. Thank you.

Thanks

Caro, Welcome to the forum.

A very quick scan of the usual sites gives the following:-

Birth Registered Q1 1914
    D'ARCY Patrick D A G Kirwan Marylebone 1a 1027

Enlisted in RAFVR (975721) at either Cardington or Padgate shortly after Sep 1939

Commissioned Plt Off on 11th Mar 1944 from Warrant Officer.
    975721 Patrick Devlin Asquith Graham D'ARCY (173324)

Death 30 Mar 1944
    D'Arcy Patrick D A G Age 30 Registered Scunthorpe 7a 812

Trade: Pilot
    Service No: 173324
    Date of Death: 30/03/1944 Age: 30
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Grave Reference Plot B. R.C. Grave 3. Cemetery: BRIGG CEMETERY
    Additional Information: Son of Mrs. F. G. D'Arcy, of St. John's Wood, London.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

You need your uncle's Record of Service. This will reveal all.

If he was buried at Brigg, do you have any idea about the circumstances of his loss and do you have his Log Book? His entry in the Commonwealth War Graves records states he is a pilot but does not give a unit which suggests he might have been at a training unit.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

You need your uncle's Record of Service. This will reveal all.

If he was buried at Brigg, do you have any idea about the circumstances of his loss and do you have his Log Book? His entry in the Commonwealth War Graves records states he is a pilot but does not give a unit which suggests he might have been at a training unit.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Not quite sure how we got to a double post but there 'tis.

D'Arcy was killed when a Martinet JN646 of 53 OTU crashed on approach to Hibaldstow after spinning in.

I've confirmed this info from Malcolm's records on RAFWEB and a set of information provided me elsewhere by Chris Campbell of Duffus.

It looks like the Martinet may have been banner towing from some air to air gunnery. However, this moves things along to identify a unit and hence opens up the Forms 540/541 (unit diary and list of sorties) for further investigation.

from a personal point of view, I'd be interested to know if this man has any connect to Stan D'Arcy who flew Venoms and then helicopters.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    Not quite sure how we got to a double post but there 'tis.

D'Arcy was killed when a Martinet JN646 of 53 OTU crashed on approach to Hibaldstow after spinning in.

I've confirmed this info from Malcolm's records on RAFWEB and a set of information provided me elsewhere by Chris Campbell of Duffus.

It looks like the Martinet may have been banner towing from some air to air gunnery. However, this moves things along to identify a unit and hence opens up the Forms 540/541 (unit diary and list of sorties) for further investigation.

from a personal point of view, I'd be interested to know if this man has any connect to Stan D'Arcy who flew Venoms and then helicopters.

Colin Cummings
    Colin, thanks so much for this. We really didn't know much about how Pat came to crash. My Dad was a Officer in the Navy and was at sea when the accident happened, and Granny (Florence D'Arcy) never really spoke of it. I have found in Dad's possessions the watch Pat was wearing when he crashed, and which was sent back to Granny after his death. It's all bashed up, and seems to me the saddest thing. Pat was a bit of a character. He fought in the International Brigade in the Spanish civil war, wrote for the London Evening Standard and sometimes told girls he was Lord Kilarney, the better to chat them up.

Regarding your query re Stan D'Arcy, as far as I'm aware there is no one in our family of that name, but unfortunately all the people I could ask to confirm this are gone now.

Thanks

Thanks so much Peter. This is a wonderful amount of information, especially as I'm a complete novice at this family history stuff! I'm particularly grateful for the grave reference at Brigg, as we plan to go there soon and pay our respects.

Everyone has been so helpful.

Thanks

Hi Caro,

Indeed welcome to the Forum i read with interest your Thread , i may be able to supply more detail on this contact me off board

bw Phill Jones

Thanks

Good Morning Caro,

Glad to be able to provide some info. As you are new to this, my references to Forms 540/541 etc might mean nothing so a quick summary.

The Record of Service is document in which all postings, promotions, courses etc are shown. It is an absolute gold mine of information and will lead you to almost everything else you might want to research. The rules on getting this document from the official sources have changed several times and I have not tried in recent years. I think the Veterans Agency is involved somewhere but someone on this forum will explain all - DID YOU READ THAT ALL YOU 'POSTERS'????

The Forms 540 and 541 are the unit diary and a list of sorties. These two documents are generally archived at the National Archives, Kew. If it is too difficult to get there, one can employ a researcher for a fee to search and print what you want. My advice is; wait until you have the Record of Service because it might reveal things like operational service or other snippets so that you can combine your search.

There is a new service available via the Air Historical Branch (RAF) and is the 'Defence Publications Scheme'. For a fee and subject to certain conditions, a search can be done of the documents held by the MOD still. If you contact the AHB at RAF Northolt - I suggest by letter - they will tell you the rules etc and send you the (inevitable) forms to complete. I have used this service for my own research and found it worthwhile.

I'm uncertain how much data you will get from the RAF Museum at Hendon at this particular time. However, they will have a microfilmed copy of the RAF Form 1180 and this will summarise the circumstances of the accident and possibly point to a likely cause. The chaps (and chapesses of course) to talk to at Hendon work in the Dept of Research & Information Services (DORIS); she's a lovely girl and always very helpful!!

Hope this helps move your search along a bit. You will find this forum very helpful and friendly and invariably, someone knows the answer or knows someone who does.

Good Luck

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Good Morning Caro,

D'Arcy was indeed lost on Martinet JN646 and I have the following details taken from my notes. If you drop me a PM with your e-mail address I will certainly send you a copy of the accident form etc.

JN646 P& Powis 1690 / C 23 (c) Mercury XXV 22.06.43 60 O.T.U., High Ercall; Unknown date 53 O.T.U., Hibaldstow ‘D’ Flight; 30.03.44 Flying Accident Cat E damage, 53 O.T.U., Hibaldstow aircraft crashed into ground at steep angle nose first and inverted with undercarriage locked down, believed aircrafts engine stalled on approach to Hibaldstow , heavy snow shower a contributing factor. Pilot Pilot Officer D’ARCY, Patrick Devlin Asquith (173324) Killed. T.T.O. AC2 PROSSER, G.H. (2218689) Injured. Accident time 19.05, Duty: Target Towing. – 30th March Fatal Flying Accident Hibalbstow, 975721 W/O P.D.A.G. D’Arcy (pilot) was killed, and 2218689 AC2 G.H. PROSSER (Tow Target Operator) dangerously injured in a flying accident. At 19.00 hoursa Martinet aircraft piloted by Warrant Officer D’Arcy with AC.2 Prosser – passenger – tow target operator, returned from the Air Firing Range to base in bad weather. On approaching the runway the aircraft stalled and spun into the grass just off the runway from a height of 60’. The pilot was killed instantaneously and the passenger sustained a depressed fracture of the frontal bone, a broken leg and a fractured pelvis. AC2 Proser was taken into the Scunthorpe and District War Memorial Hospital, Scunthorpe. The accident was investigated by Flight Lieutenant G.A. Harrison of 5 Group Headquarters.

Kind regards,

Tim