Thread: Wellington MkVIII HX566 - Lost on Spanish Soil: 27 August 1942

Thanks

Default Wellington MkVIII HX566 - Lost on Spanish Soil: 27 August 1942

Together with two other relatives of the 5 crew members who died (one survived, was interned - but then killed in 1943), I've been researching this loss. Usual sources of the MoD's Air Historical Branch, MoD(Air) Records, RAF Museum Archive, National Archives and British Library have produced information, some confirming what NoK were told at the time - but much new material confirming that the aircraft did not actually reach Gibraltar and details of the MI9 debrief of the crew member who survived. We were lucky to obtain a copy of the Spanish Defence Ministry's 'dossier' on the crash at Carnera Point. Two of the crew were RCAF (both US citizens), including the one who survived the crash, and we now have a request in with the Canadian authorities.

It's our eventual intention to update, expand and correct the material which currently appears on the AircrewRemembered website. In this regard, the one major aspect that has completely escaped us is the aircraft's ultimate destination and likely route to it, bearing in mind that this Wellington MkVIII was an anti-submarine variant. There is firm evidence that suggests its ultimate destination was Cairo, but nothing to indicate the likely route - either via Malta (unlikely?) or (more likely?) via West Africa. If any forum member is able to assist (please don't assume that we've seen what you think we may have seen, especially in regard to the National Archives AIR series), then I'd be very happy to hear from you with any comments or advice that you can give.

Mike Taylor
    Last edited by Michael Taylor; 30th July 2014 at 13:19.

Thanks

Mike,

Interesting work. The Wellington VIII was used by relatively few squadrons overseas, especially around August 1942. As far as I can see - and hope others can add to this - four squadrons in the Middle East used this Mark of Wellington around this time.
    38 Squadron in Egypt,
    69 Squadron in Malta,
    221 Squadron in Malta,
    458 Squadron in Palestine.
    I expect all aircraft for these units and replacements would have flown England-Gibraltar-Malta-Egypt, depending on their final destination. I cannot see them flying via West Africa, but am open to correction.
    I think you will eventually find your answer in the service records of those two RCAF crewmen when you receive them.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Hi Martin

Many thanks for your helpful response. I found no specific evidence that West Africa was the likely route, save that a general 'feel' for the relevant ORB material seen during my several research visits to Kew was that Malta seemed not to be a preferred transit route to Cairo at this time (August 1942). There is, however, valid evidence that the crew expected to be destined for Middle East Command, Cairo, so I will re-check where Malta stood in terms of the overall command structure at that time (i.e. was it part of Mediterranean Command or Middle East Command; I reckon it was the former?).

Regarding the units that you mention, I think I've reviewed all their ORBs, where available. But I will re-check my notes to see if I may have omitted any.

Finally, if anybody else reading this thread wants to contribute in any way, then please don't be shy - every possible lead will be very warmly welcomed!

Regards, Mike