Thread: "Sgt E Parker" Pre-War Baleout 110 Sqn? March to April 1939 identied???

Thanks

Default "Sgt E Parker" Pre-War Baleout 110 Sqn? March to April 1939 identied???

One of my outstanding mysteries on pre-war baleouts is "Sgt E Parker" who is in the 1940 Irvin list chronologically around March / April 1939

I have failed to ID him until now. I think he is almost certainly Sgt Edward Charles Parker #512517 later DFM. The reason is this news story:

Friday 24 August 1945 , Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald , Derbyshire, England

DECORATED WITH THE D.F.M. W.O. Parker and his wife leaving Buckingham Palace.
    W.O. Ernest Charles Parker, R_A.F of Barlborough, was decorated with the D.F.M. by H.M. the King at
    recent investiture held at Buckingham Palace. This award was
    was announced in July, 1940, Some days following his capture by the Germans
    after he had been shot down in the sea off the Dutch. He was the sole survivor
    of the crew Bristol Blenheim.
    He had previously been shot down in May, 1940, at Sedan, France, but fortunately
    dropped in the British lines. He has qualified twice
    for membership of the Caterpillar Club—once before and once during
    the war. He was liberated by British troops at Lubeck shortly before Germany
    capitulated. W.O. Parker enlisted in January, 1930, and served
    and served the N.W. Frontier (lndia) and Singapore before the war.

The other two incidents mentioned are
    Blenheim IV L9241 of 110 Squadron, 14-May-1940
    Blenheim IV R3738 of 110 Squadron, 20-Jul-1940

He escaped a forced landing in L9241 with Sgt A. Storrow, Sgt E. Parker, and LAC Rowlands

He was sole survivor when he baled out of R3738 when S/Ldr (32024) John Frank STEPHENS (pilot) and Sgt (533941) James Victor WEST DFM (AG/Wop) were killed

The bit that interest me is "He has qualified twice for membership of the Caterpillar Club—once before and once during the war"

The before war has to be the incident above. The only issue is where and when ???

I wonder if anyone has 110 Sqn pre-war ORB or can tell me when he joined the Sqn ? or where he was in the time frame?

I had wondered if he was Blenheim K7144 of 110 Sqn on 14-Mar-39 but going on description of crash in Bomber Command Losses in Chorley - Not likely

Thanks

Hello

There's no recorded accident in the Squadron ORB for 14 March 1939. I can't either see a date of posting in. First occurrence I've seen of E.C. PARKER is an op on 21st September 1939, with P/O R.J. HILL and AC T. FULLERTON. There were no form 541s filed pre-war.

Storrow joined the Squadron in late 1937. No date of posting, but he's in a list of pilots dated 31 December 1937.

Hill was posted to the Squadron on 9 July 1938, from No. 10 F.T.S., but attached to No. 4 E.R.F.T.S. with effect from 10 July 1938. I can't see when this attachment ceased, but it was before April 1939.

Joss

Thanks

Joss thanks I wonder them where Parker was before 110 Sqn

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Have you investigated the following?

Bristol Blenheim Accidents & Incidents - 1939.

27-3-1939
    No.110 Sqn.
    Blenheim I K7148

514296 Sgt (Pilot) George William FORSTER RAF *

During a NAVEX Waddington to Manby an engine failed and the Blenheim, flying at 1,500 feet, entered a steep turn and as it seemed control was going to be lost the crew were ordered to bale out. One did so, successfully, but his colleague was unable to follow him as his parachute had opened whilst still in the aircraft! Sgt Forster regained control and landed without further incident.

See: BCL1(2nd.rev.ed.)/346

* Later 44225 P/O - Commission terminated 1-10-1940!

The following is known on Forster:

He was involved in a landing accident in Blenheim I L1302 (with Sgt A R Storrow), on 6 February, 1939. BCL1(2nd.rev.ed)/346.

and...

Sunday, 31 March 1940
    No.110 Sqn
    Blenheim IV N6242 VE-

T/o Ipswich and crashed near the airfield at around 1015 while approaching the runway in turbulent air.

Sgt G W Forster - Safe.

BCL1(2nd.rev.ed.)/107

Maybe Joss can check the 110 Sqn ORB, and see if there is anything for 27 March, 1939.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 31st July 2014 at 04:58.

Thanks

Hello

There's nothing about these accidents / incidents in the Squadron ORB ! It does mention some losses, but apparently, not all.

About Parker's parachute jump that Paul is seeking, may it have occured before he was posted to the Squadron, more likely in a training unit ?

Joss

Thanks

Col/Joss

Thanks for this, this has to be the Parker incident on March 23, 1939 in K7148 , the date matches the order of the jumps I have, the Sqn matches where Parker was probably the time.. and no other incident in the timeframe is 'unknown' to me.

QED

Paul

Paul

Thanks

Confirmed Parker

Nottingham Journal - Friday 09 August 1940
    Page 6

Creswell Man Wins D.F.M.
    Sergt Ernest Charles Parker, RAF
    , son of Mr. J. Parker, King-street Creswell, has been awarded the DFM
    He it officially reported to be a prisoner war. Of his ten years' service in the RAF, five were spent in India. Before enlisting he was employed at Creswell Colliery. He was married last year to Miss Stella Machin, New-road, Barlborough.
    Sergt Parker is a member of Caterpillar Club.