Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Liberator GR.VIII KN742 crash Bassingbourn 8/11/45 - help please

Thanks

Default RAF Liberator GR.VIII KN742 crash Bassingbourn 8/11/45 - help please

I know the names of the crew that were killed, that it crashed at night shortly after take-off, the squadron and the whereabouts of the crash site, but I'd really like to know what caused it and if there are any photos of it - or of 102 squadron Liberators at Bassingbourn between 1945 - 46?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob

www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk
    Last edited by Robbo1966; 30th July 2014 at 14:40.

Thanks

Hello Rob

is there any chance you could post the crew details please? I think I have the pilot (F/O William Marquis?), but would appreciate the other names if possible. Many thanks.

Simon

Thanks

Hi Rob,

I would suggest you to visit TNA and check AVIA 5/27 Liberator 8 (KN-742); Location: Bassingbourn; Report No.: W2290
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C6578137

There should be detailed Court of Inquiry report and also photos from the crash site - I have checked some of AVIA files already and in most cases there were.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Simon,

The crew were:
    F/L Edward Arthur ROBINSON (shown as pilot)
    F/O William MARQUISS (shown as co-pilot)
    F/O Stanley BROWN Nav
    F/S Albert MILLER W/Op
    F/S Ronald Kenneth LEWIS F/E

The 1180 says something like: The aircraft took of at 2330 for a night training exercise but crashed 2000 yards from the runway end. The co-pilot raised the flaps from the take-off setting before the aircraft had reached the safety height of 500 feet and it sank back into the ground.

I'm sure other docs will give more detail but that appears to be the essentials.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin, and thanks for confirming the spelling of Marquiss - the CWGC site has "Marquis"...

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks for the speedy replies gentlemen. As Colin says those were the crew lost that night, and all very young men between the ages of 21 and 23. Also thanks to Colin and Pavel for the extra info - as it gives me something to follow up.

Rob

Thanks

A general caution on name spelling, from someone who is frequently referred to as Collin and sometimes Cummins!

I have found many contradictions in spelling, of which Marquis or Marquiss is but one.

The problem seems to stem from several potential start points. First, a correct name is spelt wrongly when the recipient records it. A verbal notification of the name is taken down incorrectly. An incorrectly spelled name is shared with another person and so the error is perpetuated.

I have no fool proof solution to this but if I am in doubt, I try to go back to another and independent source. For example, if there was a contradiction in spelling between an RAF record and a CWGC record, I would try to find a birth record, which I would then believe to be probably accurate - but not always!.

Hope this tip is of use.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Col

I've come across anomalies in the spelling of surnames a few times before. In this case, I found his name was spelled Marquiss in the London Gazette, but spelled Marquis on his local War Memorial - not sure which of those is the most reliable, having come across mis-spellings on Memorials before! Freebmd has him as Marquis.

He is listed on a family tree on ancestry.co.uk as Marquiss, so I've e-mailed the tree's owner to try and get a more definitive answer...

regards

Simon

Thanks

Just to confirm in this instance it is Marquis.!

Rob

Thanks

Oh dear - in this case it seems to be me who has perpetrated the error and perpetuated the mistake.

I'll take one hundred lines!!!!!

Colin Cummings