Thread: Sgt William (Bill) Robinson RAF

Thanks

Default Sgt William (Bill) Robinson RAF

I have asked this here before on the old forum, but with new information to hand, I thought I might try again!

Bill Robinson (RAF service number 1777532) was the second man that baled out with my Father, F/Sgt John Wainwright when 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron Lancaster 1, ME699, KM-T was shot down on the night of the 4th/5th July 1944 near Beauvais on a mission to bomb the V1 storage area in the caves at St Leu d'Esserent. The other 6 on board died when the aircraft came down on the village of Laversines at around 1:50am.

My Dad's IS9 evader report indicates that he and Bill linked up on the ground and were helped initially by a boy on a bicycle they met on the road and then shelterered by local police in Bresles for 9 days before being sent to stay with a local resistance family on the 13th July. At some point after this Bill moved to "a village called AGENCOURT, near CLERMONT and I have not heard of him since."

Note that Clermont is just to the east of Bresles, and there is a small hamlet called Angicourt nearby which is likely to be what was meant. Agencourt is much further south, beyond Paris.

Unfortunately Bill Robinson's IS9 report is lost and although indexed, is not in the archives. I have been told that he was a Scot, and also that he was another Yorkshireman (my Dad, the W/Op and regular rear gunner were all tykes). So far I have had no trace of what happened to Bill after they split up in July 1944.

If anyone has any information on Bill Robinson, or any clue where to look next, I would be most grateful.

I have been able to track down information on all the rest of the crew except Bill and Thomas Leslie Jackson, RAF service number 1681086, who was Wireless Operator and was from Hull. I understand that he was an only child so may not have any close relatives left alive.

If anyone is interested in the story of the crew as i have peiced it together so far have a look at my website at http://lancaster-me699.co.uk/index.html

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

I'm still looking for any information on what happened to Bill Robinson.

I have been contacted at long last by my Dad's skippers family though, which is just wonderful.

All assistance appreciated!

Thanks

Further to this, I now believe that Sergeant William Robinson (RAF service number 1777532) was protected by the Morel family in Giencourt, Clermont in July and August 1944. Still no trace of him though.

All help appreciated if anyone comes across anything on this man at all.

On the positive side, I am now in contact with Leslie Jackson's family!

Thanks

Hello

Do you have copies of the service files of the R.C.A.F. and R.A.A.F. airmen who were lost with your father ? It seems that you had access, maybe through a third party, to Braathen's file.

There's always the hope to have a paper in these service files / casualty files with all the wartime address of the next-of-kin of the each crewmembers. It may give a clue to start with, especially when there's not much informations from the C.W.G.C. registers.

Joss

Thanks

Mike4898,
    William Robinson’s RAFVR Service Number (1777532) is in the Block 1700001-1800000. These numbers were issued (from 1 Sep 41 onwards) from various Combined Recruiting Centres (CRC) for Deferred Service. Deferred Service was when the individual reached “call-up” age but was still in some form of secondary education (degree, apprenticeship, etc, etc) the completion of which would be of advantage to the Services.
    You don’t say whether, or not, you have got his RAFVR Service Record (https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records)? If not I might suggest that you obtain it. It might give some clue as to where he was when he Enlisted, and/or what he was studying? If he was 18 in 1941 then his birth year was probably 1923. There are nearly 40 “William Robinson” registered on FREEBMD for 1923 alone – needle in haystack problem!!
    Best I can do. HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!