Thread: Sgt Robert Wild - 620 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt Robert Wild - 620 Squadron

Hi all

Would be most grateful for any and all information on the circumstances of the Stirling loss of 620 Sqn of which Sgt Robert Wild was the Navigator, the aircraft being lost on 26th July 1943.

I understand the aircraft was operating from Chedburgh but have no other info other than from CWGC, any thing else on the operational side much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Stirling EH924, QS-B, one of three 620sqdn aircraft lost on ops to Essen. Took off from Chedburgh at 22.26hrs, crashed at Asperden with only the rear gunner surviving.
    Sgt J.D. Rathbone, kia.
    Sgt J.H. Wallace, kia.
    Sgt R. Wild, kia.
    F/O J.A. Shepherd, kia.
    Sgt J.F. Wells, kia.
    Sgt A. Simons, kia.
    Sgt D.A. Castling, RCAF, pow.
    Details from BC Losses (Chorley)

Thanks

Hello Mate,

I have the No.620 (B) Squadron ORB for the Bomber Command period, if you would like digital copies of the various pages please drop me a line.

Cheers

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Sgt Robert Wild

Steve,

Please check your pm's.

Many thanks

Liz Guest

Default Sgt Wild

Hello

I saw your message by chance. My cousin was Sgt John Rathbone , the pilot of the plane in which Sgt R Wild lost his life. John Rathbone was killed too - as you know from the reply to your question. I also would like to know more about the circumstances surrounding the crash. was it their first mission do you know? I have a photograph of Sgt Wild's grave in Rheinburg Cemetery - I visited in 2005 if you are interested. I also have a photo of John Rathbone with Sgt Castling - the Canadian who survived.

Are you related to Robert Wild? I would love to know something about him.

Regards

Liz

Thanks

I realize I am replying to a 7 year old thread. I would be very happy to speak with any relatives of the crew of EH 924, QS-B, I knew Sgt. Douglas Hildreth Castling very well. I would be honoured to share the information about the loss of the aircraft with any family who would like closure. I am also very interested in any assistance anyone can provide me with how to track the service record of Sgt Douglas Hildreth Castling. I am not sure how to proceed in finding him, I believe that his posting to 620 squadron was recent and that the crew was working on their first mission together. It may have even been the first raid of the unit. I am wondering how to find what unit Douglas was with previously. I believe that he had completed 2 tours of duty and was lost on his 61st operation. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Furthermore I have also seen a thread regarding Sgt. J.D.Rathbone(pilot) and understand a cousin was looking for information. If anyone knows who this cousin is I would love to contact them.

Thanks

Default re Sgt Douglas Hildrith Castling

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Marsen View Post
    I realize I am replying to a 7 year old thread. I would be very happy to speak with any relatives of the crew of EH 924, QS-B, I knew Sgt. Douglas Hildreth Castling very well. I would be honoured to share the information about the loss of the aircraft with any family who would like closure. I am also very interested in any assistance anyone can provide me with how to track the service record of Sgt Douglas Hildreth Castling. I am not sure how to proceed in finding him, I believe that his posting to 620 squadron was recent and that the crew was working on their first mission together. It may have even been the first raid of the unit. I am wondering how to find what unit Douglas was with previously. I believe that he had completed 2 tours of duty and was lost on his 61st operation. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Furthermore I have also seen a thread regarding Sgt. J.D.Rathbone(pilot) and understand a cousin was looking for information. If anyone knows who this cousin is I would love to contact them.
    Hello Paul
    I am the cousin of Sgt John D Rathbone who is looking for information. I have some information about Sgt Castling's WW2 service including a photo. I'm not sure how I can give you this info without having your contact details. Not at-all sure how this website works. I look forward to any information you have about the loss of the aircraft. I believe it was shot down by a German fighter over Goch in Germany.
    Regards
    Liz

Thanks

Liz,

Left click on Paul's name and amongst the options of the drop-down menu is one that will lead you to his email address. Should you have problems come back to the forum.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Liz,
    I am so happy to hear from you. It seems Ironic to find your message in my (too often ignored) email on Remembrance Day. I would be interested in any information you have regarding 620 Squadron or Doug Castling. I have been thinking that I want to research his service record to confirm what he shared with me, as well as fill in the large gaps in what I know. I should say that although Doug told me the story of the loss of his aircraft a couple of times, I have not done the research to confirm any of this. I am near Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I am assuming you are in the U.K. somewhere. Please feel free to contact me thru this website or my email is pmarsen@shaw.ca . I would love to share what I know with you at your convenience and learn what you know.

Yours,

Paul Marsen