Thread: Coastal Command loss

Thanks

Default Coastal Command loss

Hi all,

I am looking for information regarding the loss of a 224 Sqn Liberator (FL947 'R') on 13th May 1943.

I know the aircraft was lost to JU88's and that 2 of the crew were picked up in a dinghy 5 days later. 1 of the 2 died the next day but the pilot P/O G.Willerton survived.

Would there be a report on the attack by the 88's and subsequent time in the dinghy that Willerton would have given? If so, where would I find it?

Any other information on top of this would be gratefully received.

Regards to all,
    Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

according to great book of Chris Goss - Bloody Biscay:

13.5.43 Liberator FL947/R shot down by Fw. Vincencz Giessuebel from 14/KG 40.
    P/O G. B. Willerton survived, all other (8) including member of RNVR perished. If you wanted names of the other crew members just let me know.

Chris is visitor of another forum 12 O'Clock High! -http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/ so you can try to contact him there.
    (I hope Ross will not consider this as an ineligible advertisement :-)
    Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 9th May 2008 at 17:43. Reason: added info

Thanks

Hi,

A/S Patrol, RAF St Eval, Took Off 13:00 hrs

P/O G B Willerton
    F/Sgt J D White
    Sgt K G Hoad
    F/L T Luke
    P/O R G Barham
    F/Sgt H Bell
    Sgt P A J Gardner
    P/O J R McCall
    Lt J F Church RN

Shot down by Ju88s in position FBCW 0900. P/O Willerton and P/O Barham were picked up by No. 10 (RAAF) Squadron Sunderland on 19/05/43. Claimed by by Fw Vincenz Giessuebel of 14/KG40. P/O Barham died of wounds on 19/05/43 and is buried in St. Columb Major Cemetery, Cornwall. The others with the exception of Lt Church are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial to the Missing. Lt Church is listed on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Thanks Pavel and Ross.

There was a couple of bits of information in your replies that I did not have.

Do you think a report from Willerton may be located in the appendices off 224's ORB or elsewhere?

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Simon, Your man was awarded a DFC wef 20 Aug 43. The entry in the LG does not include a citation. Perhaps a forum member has a copy of the citation, which may shed some light on the incident. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Hello Simon/
    afcbsimon ,

Did you find any more information about this flight? I (also) have a relative who was on-board that day.

Thanks.

Thanks

PS: If you haven't seen this, there is a bio of P/O Willerton - with details of this action - on page 14 of this auction catalogue: https://issuu.com/spinkandson/docs/11010