Thread: WW1 Red Cross PoW/Missing Files Online

Thanks

Default WW1 Red Cross PoW/Missing Files Online

Thanks

Thanks very much Paul

This information has been LONG coming. It has been notoriously difficult to access in the past, most owing I believe to a 100-year closure rule. Looks like this has been now lifted. Even when I lived in Switzerland it was difficult to access in person, and never managed to get to the IRC to look at their files. It is therefore wonderful to find the files all scanned and online - printable and downloadable.

I quickly and easily found my great grandfather's older brother, Maj John G. Brew, Royal Irish Fusiliers. Now to start looking for my 41 Sqn pilots captured during WWI!

Thanks for advising of the site's existence.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

A postscript...

It takes a little time to work out the set up and what's actually available on the site. If you search on a pilot's surname, it will bring up a list of men with that surname. They appear to be broken down by regiment. The fastest way to find your man is to look for Surname (Royal) Air Force.

e.g. to find Guy Lloyd Carter, enter "Carter" only in the search field. Then click on the left hand side the wording "CARTER (ROYAL) AIR FORCE (8). This brings up a set of index cards. Scroll down until you find your man (only 8 in this set so easy to find). There are several cards on this man, so if you hover your mouse over the main card it gives you the option of seeing more information on the man. Click on this.

This brings up a new screen with an enlarged scan of the index card and you can also click on the thumb nails of other relevant cards to see them. Note that most cards have a PA number ("PA" and 5 subsequent numbers). If you enter the numbers into the search field to the right of the image it will bring up new image with the actual entry in the original books. There may be multiple PA numbers for multiple book entries. Between these entries and the index card, they should, in the least, provide a date and place of birth, and often a unit (for confirmation purposes), plus a place of capture, date of capture, and often the serial of the aircraft the man came down in.

Very good info if you have no access to AIR 76 and/or cannot get to the NA in London.

Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 10th August 2014 at 06:02.
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Paul,

Many thanks for providing this link. I've long been aware that my paternal grandfather had been a POW during WW1, but that was only because of an off-the cuff remark made by one of my parents many years ago; other than that nothing else was ever said. Thanks to you I now know he was captured on 22 March 1918 during the German Spring Offensive at Vendeuil - descriptions of the battle have opened my eyes as to what he experienced.

Mods - please can you make this a sticky as it is an invaluable data source.

My thanks again, Paul.

Brian