Thread: Abram's garage: Earl's Barton

Thanks

Default Abram's garage: Earl's Barton

I have stumbled across the message below on your website and wondered if there was any further information available about Abram's garage Earls Barton?
    I believe that Abram's garage was also known as Earls Barton Motors - it was built by my great grandfather Joseph Charles Abram in the early 1930ís from where he ran Abrams buses which used to operate a small local service with trips to Wellingborough and back at weekends costing four pennies return. During the war the garage was used for repairing aircraft parts for Sywell aerodrome and in March 1943 the garage sustained a broken window when two Air Force Bombers collided and crashed into it.

My father turns 70 in a few days and is very interested in his family history. If there was any further history about the garage available it would be lovely to be able to present this to him.

Many thanks

Toni Abram

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RE: Another Vickers factory
    Author: mackz
    Time Stamp:
    12:43:33 21 November 2004
    Not a Vickers Armstrong factory as such but Sywell (near Northampton) was involved in the repair and overhaul of 1,841 Wellington's.

Michael Gibson's excellent 'Aviation in Northamptonshire; an Illustrated History' (published by Northamptonshire Libraries but sadly long out of print) gives the following details:
    "The firm of Brooklands Aviation Ltd based at Weybridge was given the contract by the Air Ministry for the repair of Wellington bombers. This firm had close links with Vickers Armstrongs who were also based at Weybridge. Both firms used the airfield established on the old Brooklands motor racing track. Borroklands Aviation opened three factories for repair work, at Weybridge, Sywell and Doncaster airfields." ... "The first Wellington to be repaired (at Sywell)was a Mk.I L4349, and this was returned to the RAF in April 1940, after being test flown by Vickers chief test-pilot, Mutt Summers." ... "Apart from the purpose-built factory at Buttocks Booth, Northampton, the remainder of the premises neede were requisitioned, and were almost exclusively garages, as is shown below. Sywell Aerodrome: Dismantling. Re-assembly and flight-test. Buttocks Booth, Northampton: Fuselage repair, engine nacelles, hydraulic and pneumatic systems. Abbott's Grange, Earls Barton: Engine nacelles, component servicing and instruments. Abram's Garage, Earls Barton: Undercarriage and bomb beams. Butcher's Garage, Kettering Road, Northampton: Inner wing sections. Corona Works, Ennerdale Road, Northampton (operated by Butcher's Garage: Inner wing sections. Smith's Garage, Northampton Road, Moulton: Fuel tanks. Blanchflower & Son, Northampton Road, Kettering: Tail units, flaps and cowlings. Premises in Victoria Street, Kettering (operated by Blanchflower's): Tail units, flaps and cowlings. A E Smith & Son, Carrington Street, Kettering: Outer wing sections and ailerons. Premises in Powell Lane, Burton Latimer (operated by A E Smith): Outer wing sections and ailerons. Thompson's Garage, Tresham Street, Kettering: Machine shop for production of standard parts. United Counties' Garage, Desborough: Fuel and oil tanks. Macrae's Garage, Rockingham Road, Kettering: Fuselage repair, later taken over by A E Smith for outer wing section work."
    When work ceased on Wellingtons, Brooklands Aviation was kept busy with more modern types of Vickers aircraft, the Valetta and Varsity.
    All accompanied by some excellent 1945-50's photographs.

Colin

Thanks

Hi Tony
    I Live In Kettering I have been here since 1968 I have been to Sywell Many times but never ever knew how many firms In Kettering were Involved In the repair of the Wellington Bomber ( some are still here ) I will try to get a copy of the book from the Library
    Many Thanks ,Harold Dummer

Thanks

Harold/Tony, Hi,

They were all at it! Once the Spitfire factory had been bombed they dispersed production around the country. Coach-builders and Garages here in Reading were set to ‘metal-bashing’(panel-beaters), lathe-turning ‘bits’, and making wiring-looms. These ‘bits’ were then all taken (by road?) to RAF Henley (Crazies Farm, etc, etc,) where they were assembled on Spitfires. How the skeletons/engines of these Spitfires arrived is not known. But it is clear that every bit of local, high-quality, expertise was used to make/repair/scrap a wide variety of aircraft.

Good research project for somebody?!!!!!!!!!!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Aviation in northamtonshire

Hi
    Toni/ Peter
    I have obtained a copy of the above book and It Is excellent,360 pages, photographs galore,would make a nice present.
    Many Thanks
    Harold Dummer