Thread: "So you jumped from the Aeroplane now fill in this form"...

Thanks

Default "So you jumped from the Aeroplane now fill in this form"...

I have been aware the existence of a form that RAF personnel who baled out from an aeroplane early in the war had to fill in a for for some time, but not seen a copy nor knew what it contained. I knew it had 18 questions but was not sure what they were until I found this article.. If anyone has a filled in copy of one of these, or knows the form number I would love to see one. I have included the 18 questions (as at March/April 1940) here for any future query

Source: Wednesday 10 April 1940 , Portsmouth Evening News , Hampshire, England

THE CATERPILLAR CLUB
    Questionnaire For Men Who Qualify
    Airmen of the R.A.F. who qualify for the Caterpillar Club
    by making an emergency parachute jump, have now another ordeal to face after they after they have made their jump. According to Air Ministry Order recently promulgated questionnaire is to be answered by all personnel who have carried out an emergency jump.

The questionnaire is follows:
    (1) Date of jump.
    (2) Number, rank and name of jumper.
    (3) Type of aircraft from which jump was made.
    (4) Type of parachute and harness used.
    (5) Duty on which jumper was engaged.
    (6) Weather conditions at the time.
    (7) General circumstances.
    (8) Events prior to jumping.
    (9) Action prior to jumping.
    (10) Air speed at the time of jumping.
    (11) Altitude of aircraft, e.g. level, spinning, out of control. inverted out of control .
    (12) Altitude from which jump was made.
    (13) Method of abandoning aircraft and any difficulties.
    (14) Time taken to pull ripcord.
    (15) Sensations when descending.
    (16) Description of landing.
    (17) Injury attributable to parachute descent.
    (18) Damage to parachute and or harness.

There is space for other questions

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 11th August 2014 at 08:20.

Thanks

Check your e-mail inbox, Paul

Two such forms on their way to you from 1940 and 1941 - owing to slightly different styles of the same thing.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

All RAF accident/forced landing forms (from a certain date onwards, perhaps mid-1920s?) had such questions as "was a fire involved"? and "was a parachute used"? or words to that effect. This might well have triggered the process whereby any personnel involved in such as incident and who used a parachute might well be asked by a kindly officer involved: "Do you wish to apply for your Golden caterpillar, laddie?" Note that in the early days, the RAF was using at least two makes of parachute, and both firms had their own badges, but later there seems to have been some co-operation between the two firms (Irvin and GQ) as to who did what.
    David D

Thanks

David thanks for your posting I had guessed that there must have been some pre war Infomation taken as it forms part of the statistical and narrative Infomation that the bi-annual statistical accident reports the RAF issued upto 1937 (which are at Kew)

On this forum in a previous posting there is an example of the standard Form that the RAF an FAA used to report casualties in 1939/1940 (sorry can't find it now as stuck on train and typing on phone) however if you have examples of any these accident forms? I assume to be filled in by crew from earlier I would love to see some

Thanks Paul

Thanks

Found other post now on Cas Signals

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...nal-Form-Codes