Thread: Granddad's Service Record - Posting Abbreviations and Trade

Thanks

Default Granddad's Service Record - Posting Abbreviations and Trade

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help with the posting abbreviations on my Granddad's service record. I've spent a couple of hours on Google trying to find them and all I keep coming up with is other people asking what they mean as well.

The one's I'm looking for are:

HH - (I think that might be Headquarters Holding)
    D2K (possibly, the middle letter looks like a backwards C)
    DZF
    43L
    BC
    X
    (A)
    'A'

I think these last two are after he was put on the reserve list:

606 (1)
    'C'

Also his trade has him starting as a Grinder then MTSO (A) then MTS & O (I'm guessing that's the same thing). Can anyone tell me what type of work he would have been involved in please?

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Thanks

Michael,
    The trade abbreviation MTS&O would be "Machine Tool Setter & Operator", which was one of the more skilled engineering trades (no doubt Trade Group I), and would indicate what many would term a machinist (setting up and operating lathes, boring, drilling machines etc.) One would expect most MTS&Os to be employed in major engineering depots, station workshops, etc, rather than in small units which would not be equipped with this type of machinery, although even squadrons would probably have at least one MTS&O on strength.
    David D

Thanks

Hi David,

Thanks very much for the help, when you say Trade Group I what does that mean? It's good to know the sort of work he would have been doing as well.

I have actually put the question about the abbreviations on a couple of forums and hundreds of people have seen them but no one has replied, I'm now wondering if someone like the IWM would be able to help if I emailed them, someone must know.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael

Thanks

For HH and A see the detail on this link with the catchy title that should have come up with a Google Search

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...s-notations-HH

The others could be anything form unknown to file references. You need to add more detail on use or an image of the page for any reply.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

I hadn't found that thread, thanks a lot.

For some reason I can't post a picture. There's a box at the bottom of the page titled posting permissions which says I may not post attachments, not sure why.