Thread: Markings on 512 Sqn Dakota

Thanks

Default Markings on 512 Sqn Dakota

This is a photo of a 512 Sqn Dakota 'AY' taken in Copenhagen/Kastrup on 5th May 1945 (day of the liberation of Denmark)
    http://www.b.dk/billedserier/saadan-...j-1945#slide-6

Just behind the cockpit 3 lorries and an airborne batch are painted.

Any ideas as to what this means other than that the a/c participated in an airborne drop and transport missions (30, 300 ?)?

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,

Although not certain, I think your assessment is probably correct. A para dropping operation and three operational supply drops. It's a pity not to have the aircraft's serial number, as this would allow a check of the Form 541 and also the aircraft's own allocation up to the date.

I've not noticed transport squadrons doing this before but then why not!?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    Thank you! I am almost certain that the serial number is KG368. I do not have the full ORB as I have mostly been interested in the activities in Copenhagen on 5th May.

Could be the same aircraft seen in the air over Copenhagen on this IWM photo:
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205211763

I have been convinced for some time now, that the IWM caption is not right. 'AY' does not seem to correspond with a 437 Sqn id.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

It isn't precisely clear for me whether you do or don't have the ORB part dealing with Copenhagen, but I can confirm that according to the ORB KG368 matches with the AY code.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hans,
    Thank you. What I meant to say was that I only have the month of May of the ORB, and thus, cannot tell which operations (supply / airborne) the aircraft had been involved in prior to May 5th, 1945 since arrival on Feb 23rd, 1944. One guess could be D-day (airborne) and Arnhem (supply) representing two of the signs.

Mikkel

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

OK, clear. I've consulted the ORB and at first glance KG368 was involved in dropping paras of the 9th Parachute Rgt, 3rd Para Brigade, 6th Para Division during Operation Tonga in the night of 5/6th June 1944. In the evening of 6th June KG368 towed a Horsa during Operation Mallard and at the same time dropped resupplies during Operation Rob Roy.

It towed Horsas during Operation Market Garden on 17th, 18th and 19th September 1944. On 24th March 1945 it towed a Horsa during Operation Varsity.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hans,
    Thank you! Seems like plausible cadidates for the markings.

Mikkel