Thread: loss 196 Squadron Stirling EF464, 3-4.10.1943

Thanks

Default loss 196 Squadron Stirling EF464, 3-4.10.1943

Dear all,

I'm currently working on the 3-4 October 1943 Kassel raid for the NJWD 2nd edition, and am looking for info on the loss of 196 Squadron Stirling EF464. I have the crew details, but would be interested in any details about the encounter with a night fighter that forced the a/c to turn back, especially when & where the encounter took place.

Cheers and thanks, Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,

Are you sure EF464 was attacked by a night fighter? According to the ORB an engine failure over the enemy coast forced the Stirling to return and subsequently to make a crash landing.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Theo,
    According to Chorley (Vol.4, page347), the Stirling turned back after an encounter with a night fighter. With failing engines it attempted to land at RAF Coltishall but the port inner failed completely and it crashed at 2143 at Scottow, 4miles SSW of North Walsham, Norfolk. All the crew, with the exception of Sgt. T L Dickie survived though all sustained injuries.
    Hope this helps,
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi Hans & Bill,

Thanks a lot for your replies -I read the info on a 'night fighter encounter' in Bill Chorley's 1943 Volume, but the Sqn ORB obviously states a different cause of the engine failure.. Reason for asking is that I have a few unexplained single-engined Wild Boar NF claims on 3-4.10.1943 and was hoping that the loss of ED464 would fit to one of these claims..

Cheers, Theo