Thread: Oxford V3888 crashed 3rd January 1943 near Cambridge

Thanks

Default Oxford V3888 crashed 3rd January 1943 near Cambridge

Hi all,

I am looking for confirmation on the precise location where Oxford V3888 crashed on 3rd January 1943. The aircraft crashed shortly after taking off (from where?) and was being flown by Second Officer Irene Arckless of the Air Transport Auxiliary.

I am also wondering if anyone lives in the Cambridge area who may be aware of any local archives where I can search for a possible photo of the crashed aircraft as information to hand suggests that it crashed into a house on the outskirts of the city.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Jim

Not sure if you've seen this, but there's a very brief report from the inquest in the Gloucester Citizen of January 6th 1943:

AIR GIRL TRIED TO SAVE PLANE
    Ferry Pilot Irene Arckless, 27-years-old A.T.A. Second Officer, made a last-ditch attempt to avoid the plane crash into a house in Cambridge, in which she died.
    Witnesses at the inquest yesterday said the machine was very low. It turned as if trying to avoid the house, but apparently touched a tree and crashed head-on.

The AB Oxford, Consul and Envoy File has:

5 F.P.P. engine cut after night take off from Cambridge and crash landed 3.1.43

Cheers

Simon