Thread: Help please my father's RAF records.

Thanks

Default Help please my father's RAF records.

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and need some help please in deciphering my father's Second World War records which I've just received from Cranwell. He was a wireless operator. What I'm at a complete loss on is understanding the entries I've copied from his record which I show below. (The first two lines being headings on the form).
    Dep.....................Unit...................... ...................Reason..........Date of
    P.O.R. .................................................. ..................................Movement
    .........................RAF Chigwell. ...............................G3...............1/2/44
    86/44.................84 Group......................................R...... ...........4/4/44
    .........................5099(c) MSU
    MSU 1588/44......5407(G)MSU................................ ....................30/7/44
    PCC/D1905........ Emb for Cont.............................................. ......21/8/44
    .........................Disemb for Cont.............................................. ..23/8/44
    MSU
    600/45...............55072(CB) MSU............................................... .17/3/45

Any help you can give would be gratefully received.
    Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by flintlock; 20th August 2014 at 05:47.

Thanks

Welcome aboard!

as for the units he served with I would think MSU stands for Mobile Signals Unit.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and help, Pavel. Would you or anyone have any idea as to the meaning of 5099(c), 5407(g) 55072(gb) etc. Also do you know of anywhere I could find out what and where these MSU units were during the years my father was with them? He never said much about his war years but my Mother thought he spent some time in Holland and she said he also mentioned the Ardennes?
    once again many thanks.
    John