Thread: Looking for information: Elcombe R.141434

Thanks

Default Looking for information: Elcombe R.141434

In the summer of 2007 I was informed that a family friend was moving to a retirement home. The gentleman was 85 years old (I was informed that he just passed away earlier this year) and he had a few storage cabinets he wanted to sell. I went over to his place and looked around and discovered that he had many things he was selling off including an old World War II Canadian soldiers footlocker. I think I bought it for $20. A friend of mine, a carpenter, bought a similar footlocker the year before and refurbished his. His looks brand new while mine looks like it went around the world. The main difference between mine and his was that mine had the owners name, service number hand painted onto to the lid. It reads:

?. G. Elcombe
    R.141434
    W.C.U.

The "?" is a letter I cannot read. W.C.U., I think, means Wireless Control Unit, which I am not 100% sure what that actually means other than he may have been in communications. Along the west coast of Canada there were many radio trucks employed (a friend of mine owned an old WWII radio truck: W.C.C., West Coast Command). The original owner, the gentleman who was 85 years old, told me that the footlocker belonged to his father who had served in WWI and reenlisted at the start of WWII and served in Prince Rupert BC, Canada. He claimed his father was an officer, but I am not sure he got the story right, or was he just confused?

Is there a way to trace this soldier via his service number?

I worked in the town of Prince Rupert in 1982 doing archaeology survey work and we came across a lot of WWI relics including anti-submarine netting across narrow channels, coiled barbed wire in the woods, concrete gun forts with gun turntables, and signs noting artillery/mortar training areas where unexploded ordinance may still exist (beware, etc). Many of the older people I spoke with in the town were volunteers from the war, or had been solders who trained in Prince Rupert. It was an interesting, if wet (lots of rain), town.

Thanks

Assuming that this is an RCAF service number it should be easy enough to at least identify him by name. Other details are problematical. Please wait until next week.

Thanks

Peterborough, Ontario examiner list him as Frederick Greer Elcombe R141434.
    http://virtual.peterboroughexaminer....40101/9.html#9
    Photo in uniform and details at:
    http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com...0015photo.html
    Died in 1988.

Alan.