Thread: Wartime BOAC aircraft

Thanks

Default Wartime BOAC aircraft

Has anyone ever tried to get, or, got anything from the British Airways archive about wartime BOAC aircraft/operations? I'm specifically interested in Lodestar G-AGIH, I'd like to resolve the report of the registration being used by more than one airframe and the apparent destruction of the first airframe in the UK with something official.

There is no mention of the accident in any ORBs I've got copies of, the crash apparently is in the area covered by one or more of Abbotsinch, Ayr, Prestwick, Turnberry. The only reference is in the No.63 MU ORB of a recovery of a Lodestar from high ground (with no specific location) ending in March 1944 with a serial given as a USAAF tail number but it is possible that this is a corruption of an entry relating to the loss of a USAAF C-60 on Arran.

If the various reports are correct G-AGIH was used by airframe 18-2491 (USAAF 42-56018 > RAF FS737 > RR997) and immediately after on airframe 18-2619 (USAAF 43-16459).
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

My apologies if you already have consulted this, but the best source is almost certainly Air Britain's The Lockheed Twins. Here's the additional information anyway: someone may find it useful. 18-2491 G-AGIH is listed as a Norwegian Government aircraft, initially intended to be FS737 but this was not taken up and it was reserialled RR997. It was transferred to BOAC as G-AGIH on 1 August 1943, op for RNoAF. Destroyed by crash on test flight 13 December 1943, location uk." I suspect uk means unknown, but you seem to know more about that. If it had been the possession of the RNoAF then it may not have any record in the BOAC archives - I don't know which ORBs will have covered it either. Perhaps somewhere in Norway may be able to help? That a second airframe was allocated the same registration does suggest that the first one's "possession" by BOAC was very brief indeed, and may even have been for some kind of temporary convenience rather than permanent. However, a very similar description is provided for 2492, which became G-AGII under very similar circumstances, but survived to the end of the war and beyond.

18-2619 is described as G-AGIH (2nd use) from 26 May 1944, crashed 03:00 hours 29 Aug 1944 when aircraft hit top of Mt. Kinnekulle, Scotland. I'm sure that this should say Sweden.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that 14-1490 was G-AFMO, as was Hudson 1713, so re-use of a registration was not unique, even among Lockheed transports.

Thanks

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...ype=65&appid=1

Does the G-INFO database above give useful data
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks, I already have a copy of that pdf. The CAA doc does give airframe identities for two aircraft but so far that is the only form of official paperwork which seems to confirm the story of G-AGIH being two different aircraft.

18-2619 was the airframe which was written off in Sweden, I'm trying to confirm (or for that matter deny) whether or not 18-2491 crashed near Strathaven in Lanarkshire. The ORBs I had hoped might have mentioned it were those of RAF stations/units which sent medical personnel to aircraft accidents in the area (regardless of the aircraft being theirs).

It could well be that the aircraft was in reality on charge with the RNoAF at the time of a crash in Scotland and therefore there is nothing in writing other than a brief entry about a recovery in this country, four RNoAF personnel are named on a Norwegian website as being onboard but I can't confirm it from a contemporary source.
    Alan Clark

Thanks

Hello Alan

CAA
    The Library and Information Centre

Information acquired in 2006

CAA Publications
    The Library and Information Centre maintains a complete collection of all current CAA publications. An extensive reference archive of previously issued CAA publications is also held. CAA publications may also be purchased from The Stationary Office TSO. A collection of Reports issued by CAA, NASA, FAA and other organisations is held. UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) reports and bulletins are kept along with selected foreign accident reports. New reports are included in the Library Bulletin, and all reports are in the Library database.

But they claimed to have nothing on the BOAC operation of the Whitley.

The aircraft is reputed to be covered in this Journal?

Bjørn Hafsten. Lockheed Lodestar i norsk tjeneste fra 1941 til 1950. Norsk Flyhistorisk Tidsskrift, 3-96. Gjengitt med forfatterens tillatelse.

Google Translate:- Bjorn Hafsten. Lockheed Lodestar in Norwegian service from 1941 to 1950 Norwegian Aviation Journal, 3-96.

For å slippe å søke svenskene om ny tillatelse for å bruke dette flyet på ruten, gjorde BOAC avtale med Air Ministry om å beholde kjennetegnet G-AGIH for 43-16459, noe som egentlig var stikk i strid med alle bestemmelser. Byttet ble meddelt fra BOAC til FFK den 26. april 1944 og det formelle flydykt[ ]ighets[ ]beviset[?], nr. 7017, utstedt av Air Ministry den 26. mai.

Google Translate:- To avoid having to search the Swedes a new permit to use this aircraft on the route did BOAC agreement with the Air Ministry to keep characterized G-AGIH for 43-16459, which was actually contrary to all regulations. The change [change ?] was announced by BOAC to FFK on 26 April 1944 and the formal Airworthiness Certificate no. 7017, issued by the Air Ministry on 26 May.

Crashed at Kinnekulle
    The Crew:-
    Alf Hiorth
    Lars Bergo
    Sven Moe

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 24th August 2014 at 23:39. Reason: Crashed Kinnekulle

Thanks

Hi,
    There were two Lodestars which used the registration G-AGIH. First one was ex. 42-56018 which crashed near Strathaven on 31st January 1944 being written off. The crew, Lt. Helge Bjørnebye, M. Fjellstad, Sgt. Haakon Tenvik and 2nd.Lt. Ivar Engeland escaped serious injury. The second G-AGIH was ex. 43-16459 and crashed at Kinnekulle, North East of Linkoping killing 3 crew and 14 passengers on the 29th August 1944. The link below, in Norweigan, explains that the same registration was used to avoid having to apply for a new permit from the Swedish government. Several web sites have 42-56018 crashing in Sweden. Glad they didn't use the registration a third time.

Alan.

http://www.luftfartshistorie.no/fly/...olmsruten_1944

Thanks

Beat me to it Mark.

Alan.

Thanks

These are the flights and notes recorded in the handwritten Bromma Journal (sorry about the format which is fine until I click the Save button):

From Stockholm To
    Date Reg. Type Owner Pilot Flight Place Dep. Arr. Dep. # Psng. Place Arr. Remarks
    15/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Hiorth Extra UK 03:05
    17/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Hiorth Extra 21:32 11 UK
    20/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Hiorth Extra UK 01:20
    21/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Hiorth Extra 20:56 6 UK
    23/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Bugge Extra UK 01:29
    24/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Bugge Extra 21:08 11 UK
    26/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Bergo Extra UK 01:22
    28/08/1944 G-AGIH Lodestar BOAC Bergo Extra 21:01 10 UK Crashed into Kinnekulle on westbound flight.
    Last edited by tbaker; 2nd September 2014 at 07:24. Reason: Layout changes when I post

Thanks

Thanks

I wouldn't have thought to look for a journal for collectors of air mail related material. Interestingly in the list of UK-Sweden related accidents the one I'm interested in is without registration, probably as a result of confusion over a re-use of the registration on an aircraft was itself was later destroyed in a more public way.
    Alan Clark