Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Woolhouse's

Thanks

Default RAF Woolhouse's

Dear All,
    In updating the Woolhouse Family History I have a number of WW2 RAF Casualties. I have all their CWGC data, but can anybody add any more details. Family rumour has it that two of the air casualties were shot down by the same Luftwaffe pilot!!

R/91111 Cpl Albert Edgar Woolhouse, RCAF, 3 Sep 43
    Fg Off Edward Barrie Woolhouse (50230), RAF, 26 Nov 43
    Plt Off George Francis Woolhouse (82215), RAFVR, 29 Jun 41
    415748 Flt Sgr Ross Vivian Woolhouse, RAAF, 15 Aug 43
    950313 W/O Stanley Woolhouse, RAFVR, 3 Oct 43

I am intrigued by Plt Off George Francis W. A Plt Off at age 41?, and I can't make the location of death and the (CWGC) Sqn tie up.
    Any help will be gratefully received.
    Tks in antic
    Peter Davies

Thanks

RE: 415748 Flt Sgr Ross Vivian Woolhouse, RAAF, 15 Aug 43

Killed in Sunderland JM685, attacked by Ju-88s

There's a picture of his funeral:

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/SUK11404B

And from http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/pages/crash_log/crashlog43.htm

"Short Sunderland Mark III JM685 UT-X of 461 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force based at RAF Pembroke Dock, Wales was damaged in combat at 1800 hours by Junkers Ju88C-6 aircraft of V/KG40. W/O I. Jones was injured and F/Sgt R.V. Woodhouse Killed in Action, F/Lt P.R. Davenport and the other crew members were uninjured, the aircraft force landed at 2040 hours off Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly."

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 11th May 2008 at 14:01. Reason: typo

Thanks

Amrit,
    Many tks. That's just the sort of detail I was looking for!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

RE: Plt Off George Francis Woolhouse (82215), RAFVR, 29 Jun 41 is reported as Died on Active Service in Flight.

In June 1941 the squadron was enroute, by sea, from Alexandria to West Africa, and if Woolhouse was taken ill he may have been transported off.

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 11th May 2008 at 14:11. Reason: typos (again)

Thanks

RE: 950313 W/O Stanley Woolhouse, RAFVR, 3 Oct 43

Halifax HR728

Details of aircraft and who shot him down (sorry about long link but it's a translation)

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.spurensuche-owl.de/front_content.php%3Fidart%3D83&sa=X&oi=translate&r esnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhalifax%2BHR728%26hl%3Den%26client%3D firefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3D7vW%26sa%3DG

A

Thanks

RE: R/91111 Cpl Albert Edgar Woolhouse, RCAF, 3 Sep 43

"September started off on a tragic note when three members of the unit were killed. P/O S Josephson, Sgt GL Seward (left) and Cpl AE Woolhouse were proceeding in a Beaufighter to Leuchars when the aircraft crashed just outside of Ulster. “Very bad happening today again as Frank Woolhouse was going on leave and caught a ride down to Leuchars in one of our new “Beaus.” They had no sooner left the drome than the pilot started to do some low flying and struck the top of a house knocking off the chimneys which broke the tail off the plane which crashed killing all three in the plane.” Their funeral was held three days later with all of them being interred at Wick cemetery. The Squadron Scrapbook notes that the accident happened at Lybster."

A

Thanks

Amrit,
    Genius! Thanks the new info!
    I knew there was a Schnaufer connection somewhere. Schnaufer was responsible for downing the a/c in which Flt Sgt Alec Thomas Walkington Woolhouse (622 Sqn) KIA 30 Jan 44 was part of the crew!! Incredible - from a stats point of view - that of 6 WW2 Air Woolhouse losses 2 (33.3%!!!) should be down to the same Luftwaffe pilot!!! Truth is always stranger than fiction!
    Thanks to your help I will now have to re-write my "Short Note on the Woolhouse Family History" to include a Roll of Honour. You should remember, though, that when I started writing the Short Note it was the late 60's! No internet! The first draft was written on a BBC B computer!!!!
    Bringing ancient writings up to date is an art-form in itself!
    I am very grateful for your help and interest in this matter - and where your internet expertise is much greater than mine!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter
    There is one small point. At the time G F Woolhouse died he is shown as being on 228 Sqn which on the 15/6/41 were in transit by sea from Alexandria to W Africa (Jefford RAF Squadrons- he mentions Bathurst as the Sqn next operational station). It suggests passage through the Red Sea which could be why he is buried in MAALA Cemetery which is in the Yemen( then Aden). The cemetery lies between Khormaksar and Crater and the nearby port of Steamer Point could easily have been an intermediate stop. It would require the kind of scenario of death in transit suggested by Amrit and it ties in with the CWGC reported Sqn
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 11th May 2008 at 19:28.

Thanks

Peter,

F/O Edward Barrie Woolhouse apparently was on board Lancaster DS793 of 115 Squadron, lost over Germany on a mission to Stuttgart. All 7 crew were killed.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Hello everyone, thought this might be of interest.

W/O Stanley Woolhouse's wife, Edith, was my great aunt. Anyone researching the family or indeed the history of 51 squadron may be interested in this small album I posted to Flickr a few years ago, after Edith had passed away and they were discovered amongst her personal papers... https://www.flickr.com/photos/770599...57632267706443
    Last edited by JasonHeeley; 31st March 2017 at 03:19.