Thread: Bullet holed 88 sqn boston panel ? comines power house aug 1942

Thanks

Default Bullet holed 88 sqn boston panel ? comines power house aug 1942

Hello after having such great help from the forum before with one of my research projects im back again to see if anybody can help me with this one.
    yesterday i aquired a piece of aircraft fusalage panel with bullet holes !! painted on which is " low level on comines power house ,august 29th 1942 , shot up over ostende by coastal defences ! the panel was kept by a member of the crew a rev Arthur Dodds and was left at a Honiley priory by him , and i do believe this as the people it came from had no reason to tell a tale so to speak. my research has shown me it must be a piece from an 88 sqn boston one of 6 that raided comines power station on aug 29th 1942 , but i am wondering if anyone has a copy of the orb for that period which would list Arthur dodds as one of the crew members on that raid just to proove the piece 100% i think it is and i hope it is as i have always wanted an actual piece of aircraft , any help would be greatly appreciated cheers for now Nick.

Thanks

Hello

The Squadron flew two missions on 29th August 1942, 8 Bostons attacking fishing wharves off Ostend and 6 others attacking the power station at Comines. No DODDS on any mission.

Z2260 from the Comines raid crashed after having being hit by Flak on crossing the French coast. Z2239 was badly damaged by Flak and the crew jettisoned the bombs, and landed at Ipswich.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply Joss , if you have the orb would you happen to know if there was a dodds flying on the sqn around that time , or maybe he was a member of the ground crew . Thanks for the help Nick.

Thanks

Hello,

Could be your Rev. Arthur DODDS:

1191731 P/O Arthur Whitfield DODDS (106246) (twice MiD).

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...5309/page/5970

Liked a bit of cricket also:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Pl...9/1082519.html

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th August 2014 at 12:37.

Thanks

Hi thanks for that Col it sounds likely thats the chap, is there anyway we could tell he was on 88 sqn though ? cheers Nick.

Thanks

Hello

I've searched the ORB before and after, and I didn't spot him... Or I need glasses...

Joss

Thanks

Hi Nick and Joss,

I've consulted a movement order in AIR27/718 which lists all ground personnel too, but no Dodds appears on this list. This movement order is, however, of August 1943.

Perhaps he wasn't attached to 88 Squadron but belonged to ground staff of Attlebridge Station? Or one or another repair unit at an other Echelon?

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Thankyou Joss and Hans for taking the time to look , it is much appreciated Nick