Thread: Loss area of Liberator BZ753 of 53 Sqn

Thanks

Default Loss area of Liberator BZ753 of 53 Sqn

Lost 4-10-1943 to KG40 at sea during an anti-sub patrol.
    Who can help with a location (area) of this loss?

Thanks

Default Bz753

Hi Bob,
    I have just joined this list and noticed your query. I attempted to send a reply yesterday,but to no avail. The information I have aquired from rafb24.com is as follows:

BZ753 was shot down by enemy action on 4th Oct 1943 at approx 1034 hrs a message was received that they were under attack from 4 enemy aircraft. A Liberator of 224 squadron later reported seeing them ditch in the sea ,there were no survivors.
    Bz 753 was claimed by Obit Kurt Necesany-14/KG40 at grid ref 24WestN/2764.
    This corresponds to map ref Latitude: 46deg 22min 30sec
    Longitude: -11deg 25min 0sec
    putting the crash site just west of the Bay of Biscay.

Can I ask what your connection is to BZ753 ? My brother was the wireless op.
    I have more info on bz753 if you are interested please contact me
    regards
    Mike Smith

Thanks

Thanks, Mike. The question arose during the process of elimination when trying to find a name for an airman buried as unknown.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Default Flight BZ753

Hi Mike, I have just noticed that your brother was on the same flight as my uncle, Walter Garrod, and shared the same rank and fulfilled a similar role - air gunner/radio operator. I am aware of many of the details regarding the last flight of BZ753 but if you would like to get in touch we can perhaps exchange notes. I am aware that at the time, Walter's parents (my grandparents) were contacted by one of the other bereaved families but they did not follow this up. I wonder if it could have been your family? I am not a regular user of this site and have only joined this week but I am hoping you will get in touch.
    Regards, Neville Morley ( born 23/10/43 and given Walter,s middle name)

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I have just joined this list and noticed your query. I attempted to send a reply yesterday,but to no avail. The information I have aquired from rafb24.com is as follows:

BZ753 was shot down by enemy action on 4th Oct 1943 at approx 1034 hrs a message was received that they were under attack from 4 enemy aircraft. A Liberator of 224 squadron later reported seeing them ditch in the sea ,there were no survivors.
    Bz 753 was claimed by Obit Kurt Necesany-14/KG40 at grid ref 24WestN/2764.
    This corresponds to map ref Latitude: 46deg 22min 30sec
    Longitude: -11deg 25min 0sec
    putting the crash site just west of the Bay of Biscay.

Can I ask what your connection is to BZ753 ? My brother was the wireless op.
    I have more info on bz753 if you are interested please contact me
    regards
    Mike Smith

Thanks

I have no reply from Mike to date. Is there anyone else linked to the crew of Liberator BZ753 and who would like to get in touch? Neville (nephew of Flight Sergeant Walter Garrod)

Thanks

Hi Neville,

I was wondering if you could contact me about the loss of BZ 753. I don't have any details to add to your files but I do have a couple of questions. My email is awgardner1@gmail.com

Thank you.

Thanks

It might be that Mike has not seen your post, Neville. I suggest you contact him direct via email; just left click on his name and you will find his address via the drop-down menu.

Brian

Thanks

Neville,

You can either use the drop down menu or email me. I can forward you his email. I was just in contact with Mike this morning.

Thanks

Default Searching for info re Walter Garrod

Quote Originally Posted by WM_Chapman View Post
    Neville,

You can either use the drop down menu or email me. I can forward you his email. I was just in contact with Mike this morning.
    Thanks for your help in contacting Mike. We have made contact through e-mail as was suggested. I would love to hear from any others who have any extra relevant info. Nev