Thread: Fatal crash of Mustang Mk I AM115, 18/10/42, information please...

Thanks

Default Fatal crash of Mustang Mk I AM115, 18/10/42, information please...

Hi,

What I have so far is 16 Sqdn, RAF, near Maiden Newton, Dorset, pilot F/O Cecil Ernest Franklin (21) RAFVR, buried Bridgewater (Quantock Road) Cemetery.

Any information regarding the circumstances of this accident will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Thanks

Hello Ray,

According the Operations Record Book of 16 Squadron (AIR27/222) F/O Franklin carried out a practice tactical reconnaissance for exercise Backmore, together with P/O Sampson. His Mustang struck a tree and in the subsequent crash the Mustang was completely destroyed and F/O Franklin killed.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hello Hans,

Many thanks for your reply.

The exercise would have been Blackmore, held in Feb. 1943 by the Guards Armoured Division, preparations for which " were in hand before the end of 1942." Ref. "British Military Training 1940 to 1944-Dunkirk to D-Day", author Timothy Harrison Place.

Could you confirm, please, that the airfield of departure was Weston Zoyland ?

Thanks again,

Regards,
    Ray
    Last edited by angelsonefive; 9th September 2014 at 20:07.

Thanks

Hello Ray,

Yes, Weston Zoyland. Also 08.30 hrs is mentioned. Only Forms 540 have been made for October and the format doesn't indicate what this means, but compared with other entries I think it's the take off time.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Thanks Hans, I am much obliged to you.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks

The accident card records:

P/Off C E Franklin 119552 crashed near Crockway Farm, 1 mile N of Frampton Church, Maiden Newton. The time is given as 0815 hours but I am not sure if that is take-off or the crash which happened 26 minutes into the flight.

The cause was "error of judgement". Franklin was believed to have lost contact with his leader and in endeavouring to find him his port wing hit a "high tree".

Steve

Thanks

Thank you Steve.

Ray.

Thanks

P/O Cecil Ernest Franklin(119551) and Douglas Wills 'Sammy' Sampson set off on a low-level Tac/R exercise with an army unit near Blanford. Having just been posted from 41 OTU this was Franklin’s first chance to demonstrate his flying skills, but unfortunately at the end of the exercise he flew into a hill. In a letter to my father Douglas Sampson wrote…‘I lost my No.2 who pranged doing low-level practice. I did not see him go.’
    The resulting enquiry concluded that there was an error in judgement of his height. As a result of his death No.16 Squadron decided that all new pilots, many of them who came direct from Training Units with only 10 to 12 hours Mustang conversion flying time would be trained further as soon as they arrived.
    I have been trying to contact Sammy's relatives as I would like to use extracts from his letters in a book I am writing. If any one has any info I would love to hear from them.
    Motherbird

Thanks

Sallyanne

Are you in touch with Jimmy Taylor? I should think he could help. I believe that Sampson lived in West Lakes Shore, Adelaide, South Australia when he died.

Steve