Thread: Plt Off J E Ford 132 Sqn 09/08/44

Thanks

Default Plt Off J E Ford 132 Sqn 09/08/44

Researching John Everett Ford. Came from Elworth Cheshire, died 09/08/44. His unit was 132 Sqn which were flying Spitfire IXEs from B.14 Amblie. John Ford is buried in Tosny Churchyard in Eure. I have visited his grave, which is beautifully kept, but is nevertheless a lonely one, away from other graves of local people, and with no fellow Allied servicemen to keep him company. Tosny is about 120 kms east of Amblie.

I tried the Unaccounted Airmen thread for his date of death, and he was not there, so I guess his details are known. If anyone can fill in those details for me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Spitfire NH435 op against Les Audeleys shot down by flak (Second TAF Vol.2 Shores/Thomas)

Thanks

Hello

Correct spelling of the french town is Les Andelys. There used to be the "Normandie-Niémen" fighter régiment mémorial museum in that town, but it closed down a few years ago.

Joss

Thanks

John and Joss, thanks very much for the swift replies. Once you have the serial number of the aircraft, things become easier.
    Much appreciated.

Thanks

hello albatross9

What is your source that 132 were operating from B.14 Amblie please, which is a rearm and resupply strip, which is not mentioned in the 125 Wing ORB for this days activity - 132 Squadron were part of 125 Wing and were operating from B.11 Longues-sur-mer, moving shortly to B.19 Lingevres a few days later (125 Wing ORB "13/8/44 At 0910 132 sqdn. took off from B.11 for the last time to fly to B.19 the new airfield site at Lingevres in the Tilly area...").

According to the 125 Wing ORB it describes the 132 Squadron activity as follows:

"...132 Squadron carrying one 500lb and 2 x 250 lb bombs per aircraft were given as their target tugs and barges on the Seine river. The barges were spotted and the bombs released with very sorry results for the barges. Seven destroyed, 9 damaged. Unfortunately W/O Ford was not seen or heard from after the bombing attack and must be listed as missing.....", and no mention is made of any of the 4 125 Wing squadrons 132, 441, 453, 602 using B.14 Amblie at all.

I hope the information above helps fill in a few blanks regarding the loss of W/O Ford (as he is recorded in the 125 Wing ORB), and he could have been promoted posthumously, or his promotion was not passed on to 125 Wing HQ - he is listed as W/O in the 132 Squadron ORB (form 541) of 30 June 1944 (I don't have July or August '44 for 132) and as http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...JOHN%20EVERETT shows him as a Pilot Officer I have had a brief look at the London Gazette website to try to find his commission date. I searched between 30/6/44 - the last date I have him as a W/O and 31/8/44, with no joy, but I could easily have missed it, so if you can provide that for me I would be grateful.

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH. Appointment to commission. As Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): — Wt. Offs. 1219226 John Everett FORD (179575)- 2nd July
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter

Not for the first time the information passed to the 125 Wing HQ scribe about rank is incorrect. I presume that J E Ford is also entered as W/O on the 132 Squadron ORB for this error to be passed on.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Allan and Resmoroh, thanks for further information on Ford, who is commemorated on 4 memorials locally, hence my interest.

Allan
    The information on Amblie came from an initial internet search to establish 132 Sqn's whereabouts at the time of Ford's death, History of War site I believe. Since your post I have searched on "132 Sqn Amblie" and it has thrown up several British and French sites quoting Amblie as a base for 132 Sqn.
    The search threw up that this information is also contained within the book "Spitfire Aces of Northwest Europe" P 92, in an entry for WO D J Watkins. And a French site "The World War II Encyclopaedia" quotes dates for 132's time at Amblie as arriving 25/06/44 and moving to Longues-sur-mer on 13/08/44.
    So its great to have the original entry from the wing ORB, particularly of the sortie Ford was lost on. I'm very grateful. It does appear though that there may be another source for 132 Sqn, which others have found.
    Is it at all possible that the squadron was based at Longues, yet was flying some or all of its operational missions from Amblie, having re-armed there?

Thanks

hello

I have the complete 125 Airfield/Wing ORB from June '43 to July '45 (my late father was on 125 Wing from April '44 - July '45) - and the whole Wing was at B.11 Longues-sur-Mer from 25 June, the airlift party arrived at 16.00 in Dakotas, with the squadrons arriving at 19.00 (the A & B ground echelons were also there), staying until they moved to B.19 Lingevres on 13 August as per my earlier entry. On 26 June "The Sqdns. operated from first light. The whole wing flew patrols in connection with a heavy attack that is to be launched to enlarge our beach head..." - the C echelon had not arrived, but the Intelligence and Flying Control trailers were in operation. B.14 Amblie is not mentioned, but although quite close as the crow (or Spitfire) flies it might have been in the logbook of Desmond Watkins that he landed at Amblie, as per "Spitfire Aces", to refuel and rearm, but well known photos show 132 Squadron armourers hard at work loading the bombs onto a 132 Spitfire IX at B.11. The dates from "WW2 encyclopaedia" are certainly incorrect, and the Wing ORB entries are similar to the one I have printed for 9 August - the 125 Wing scribe is quite a story-teller throughout the whole ORB, and various scribes, and is a very interesting history of a well run unit. I could quote several well known books that do not fit the facts as available now, but I won't as they were probably published in good faith at the time.

I would presume that an ORB would have been written for the unit doing the refuel and rearm at B.14 Amblie, maybe one of the Servicing Commandos as that was their function, and the only way you will get the whole story is to find it at the National Archive. Here is a good piece of information about 2TAF, and the unit you seek might be amongst them http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/2381...cal-air-force/

Hope this helps - please keep me posted.

Allan
    Allan Hillman