Thread: Searching information on DFM for P/O Egebjerg (RAFVR, 138883)

Thanks

Default Searching information on DFM for P/O Egebjerg (RAFVR, 138883)

According to a letter P/O Egebjerg, No. 14 Sqn writes to his parents after the war, he is awarded the DFM at some point - must have been during his time as sergeant pilot. I have not yet been able to find information on this. Likely to have been in connection with the Melos Harbour attack.

Would anyone be able to help?

As I understand it Tavender's bible on the matter ought to give the details?

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Nothing in Either Tavender books.

Thanks

John, thank you!
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

If this man was a Dane, perhaps he was an 'honorary award' given as part of the exchange of honours which took place. Hence there might not be a citation and his award might not have been published openly in case the Nazis took reprisals against his family.

Is this possible and is there any record in the 14 Sqn ORBs?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin
    Egebjerg transferred to USAAF in mid-1943, and documents from 1943 from this air force refer to the medal (although referred to as Distinguished Service Cross). Therefore, I do not think it likely that it was an honorary award as part of an exchange.

Mikkel

Thanks

Hello Mikkel,

According an interview in a Danish newspaper (visit in Denmark 1945), he told the DFM was received after taking part in bombing of Tripolis.

Regards

Finn

Thanks

That would be 12.12.42. Nothing special noted in the ORB. The squadron bombed a radio station. Finn, would you know the newspaper?

Mikkel

Thanks

Hello Mikkel,

I have my copy from a scrapbook, but as far as I can see, date is 20/11 1945, newspaper is "Socialdemokraten", possible a local newspaper on Funen.

Finn
    Last edited by Argus; 22nd September 2014 at 20:42.

Thanks

Socialdemokraten was the newspaper that became Aktuelt. They may have had a local version on Funen, but it was a national newspaper.

Thank you, Finn. As you may suspect I am trying to compile what I know about Egebjerg at the moment as one of the pilots of a "Danes in Northern Africa" feature.

Mikkel