Thread: R.C.A.F. officer J/24254

Thanks

Default R.C.A.F. officer J/24254

Hello

I'm at pain in deciphering the surname of a Lancaster pilot, serving with No. 405 Squadron in 1944. He was a Flying Officer in September, initials were T.W. and the surname looks like EASTWELL, RATTLEWELL. Définitivement sure of the "LEWELL" end, but no the beggining of the surname. I checked all entries with a magnifying glass, but the Squadron ORB is hard to read

I tried to identify him online, but to no avail.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Here you go Joss TW Kettlewell DFC
    Richard

Thanks

Hello Richard

Thanks a lot ! I had thought of a K as first letter, but didn't succeed.

He was one of the other two "Visual Backer Up" who flew the 26th September 1944 mission of 405 against aiming point 7D (3 others from 405 flew earlier against aiming point 7C, also in the cap Gris Nez area), the other skipper was F/L H.R. WHITTALL, and the last one was W/L C.W. PALMER, D.F.C., the Squadron C.O., who was shot down by Flak. S/L J.W. PERRY was the Master Bomber and S/L H.G. GOSMAN was the deputy Master Bomber.

Next saturday we're unveiling a plaque for the crew of PB129 in the village of Ambleteuse, where she crashed, a few miles south of the target area.

Regards from France

Joss

Thanks

Hi,

Just to complement Richard's message:

Thomas Wilfred KETTLEWELL, from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan received his wings at No. 11 SFTS Yorkton, Saskatchewan on March 5, 1943.

Cheers,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.