Thread: Escaped RAF airman : Sergeant Davies, RAF / 27/28 ,June 1944

Thanks

Default Escaped RAF airman : Sergeant Davies, RAF / 27/28 ,June 1944

Bonjour,

I am searching information concerning this RAF airman :

"Sergeant Davies, 12th Squadron RAF"
    Crashed in Paris area on 27/28 June 1944

Any details would be greatly appreciated : target, report, aircraft, evasion route, comrads in arms, members of his family ...

Thank you very much
    Best regards
    Philippe Canonne

Thanks

I believe he was part of the crew of Lancaster ND424. There is a website with details at: http://lesfaircloth.co.uk/

I am happy to do a bit more research for you later, as I probably have the loss card and night raid report, but I hope this is a useful start point.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello

I have him as Sgt H D Davies, service number 1836026. He was indeed a crew member in No. 12 Squadron's Lancaster ND424 PH-C, lost during a raid against Vaires railway facilities, during the night 27/28th June 1944. His evasion report can be found in the WO 208/3320 series at Kew, report 2059. I unfortunately don't have it, as it's not local for me. He was back home on 28th July (date given in the appendix C of his evasion report, in the WO 208/5583 series).

No member of the crew was killed, 4 evaded capture and 3 were captured.

Joss

Thanks

I have a "K" Report for this aircraft, and "Escape and Evasion" reports for Jordin, Davies, Faircloth, and Yates. Although I haven't done so yet, I could plot their tour through the 12 Squadron ORB, although that may take a little while as I have a large backlog of enquiries at the moment Philippe. Note that Flt/Sgt Jordin is shown as a PoW in Chorley '44, and indeed he did end up being captured, but did evade initially.

Your man Davies was from a place called Blackwood, about 15 miles up the valley from me in South Wales. The address he gave in his E&E Report still exists, although of course it is very unlikely he or any of his family are still there.

The target was Vaires Marshalling Yards in France. I have the route co-ordinates, let me know if you want me to post them here for you.

Do you mind me asking what your interest in Davies is Philippe?

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Default Thank you very much from France !!

Bonjour à vous gentlemen,

Thank you very much indeed, Pete, Joss and Greg.
    You rapidly, seriously sent me very important, very precious information concerning this former RAF airman : Sergeant H. D. Davies !
    Really I will never forget your so helpful help ! NEVER.
    Thanks to you I can know: his aircrew, his last mission, his squadron etc …
    I am shy and speak not much about my works. I am writing a book concerning the air war over the city of Châteauroux (count of Indre in Central France). A classic study about bombings, civilian defenses, strafings, crashed aircrafts, escapade Allied airmen etc... from 1940 to 1944.
    The story of evaded Allied airmen is an very important chapter of my studies. All information, details are very welcome. And all sources are mentioned.
    I come across this name with an association of Free French Fighters former Résistant) of Châteauroux. I am an associated member of it.
    Last week I was with the brother of a man who knew Sergeant Davies during his last 20 days of evasion.
    We would like to be in touch with this man, to know more of his venture, and to invite him in France.
    Merci, merci beaucoup from France. I have to phone to several persons to talk with them about your information.

Thank you !
    Kind regards

Philippe Canonne

canonne.phil@wanadoo.fr
    Ps : I am sorry for my poor English language.
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    I have a "K" Report for this aircraft, and "Escape and Evasion" reports for Jordin, Davies, Faircloth, and Yates. Although I haven't done so yet, I could plot their tour through the 12 Squadron ORB, although that may take a little while as I have a large backlog of enquiries at the moment Philippe. Note that Flt/Sgt Jordin is shown as a PoW in Chorley '44, and indeed he did end up being captured, but did evade initially.

Your man Davies was from a place called Blackwood, about 15 miles up the valley from me in South Wales. The address he gave in his E&E Report still exists, although of course it is very unlikely he or any of his family are still there.

The target was Vaires Marshalling Yards in France. I have the route co-ordinates, let me know if you want me to post them here for you.

Do you mind me asking what your interest in Davies is Philippe?

All the best,

Greg

Thanks

Bonjour Phillipe - don't worry about your English, mine can be a bit poor, I'm on the Welsh side of the border in the UK!! Anyway, anything I can do to help, I'd be delighted to do so. Do you want me to see if I can find any remaining family in the local area Phillipe? If you would like me to photocopy the reports I have and send them to you, drop me an email to gregATgreg-harrison.co.uk with your address and I'll get it sorted this week for you.

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945