Thread: Sgt Fitton final resting place(s) ?

Thanks

Default Sgt Fitton final resting place(s) ?

Hi

Hoping someone can clarify the following.

Sergeant J Fitton Wop/Ag 1017549 RAF VR failed to return from an operation against Duisburg on the 12/13th May 1943 the result of an encounter with Lt Robert Denzel of 12./NJG1 over the North Sea. He was operating with P/O R Bryans RCAF aboard Short Stirling BK705 HA-K.

The CWGC have this airman as buried in the Kiel War Cemetery killed on May 13th ( incorrectly as a member of 21 Squadron and not 218 Squadron) . Now the route to and from Duisburg was Egmond- 62.00N 06.43E - Target - Turn left - Noordwijk - Base. A long way from Kiel. The rest of the crew are missing and on the Runnymede Memorial. The Bomber Command Loss Card states that the body of Sgt Fitton was found and then buried at sea on August 1st 1943.

In "Footprints on the Sand of Time" by Oliver Clutton-Brock records a Sgt S Fitton (different initial & service number 260473) lost on May 12th 1943 aboard 218 Squadron Stirling BK705, imprisoned at Stalag 4B and L3?

I am hoping someone can help try and solve this puzzle which I for one have no idea!

Regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 28th September 2014 at 19:02.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

According to the CWCG Sgt Jeffrey Fitton had a different service number than the two you mention: 1075399 RAF VR

The distance wouldn't be a real issue. Many airmen who came down in sea along the coast of Holland eventually washed up the coast of northwest Germany and Denmark, in some occassions even in Norway and Sweden!

What I cannot explain is the remark on the loss card. Perhaps we have to wait for that explanation when the casualty packs are open for public in TNA!

With regard to the other Sgt S. Fitton: the number 260473 is his POW number, his actual service number is 1017549 RAF VR, the one at the start of your message. What is the source that Fitton 1017549 RAF was aboard of BK705 instead of Fitton 1075399 RAF?

Regards,
    Hans
    Last edited by Hans Nauta; 28th September 2014 at 21:49.

Thanks

Dear Hans,

Sergeant J Fitton Wop/Ag 1017549 RAF VR is recorded on the loss card for BK705 HA-K, and yes my mistake 260473 was his PoW number not service number. The Loss Card service number & the CWGC service number are different, however the PoW S Fitton has the same service number as J Fitton on the Loss Card?

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Two different service numbers from 2 different primary sources, that's indeed a difficult but interesting matter...Somewhere in the process both Fittons have been mixed up. I've checked the ORB of 21 Squadron, just to be sure, but no Fitton was lost that date, nor anyone with his name in that Squadron during that time frame.

Perhaps the Liberation Questionnaire of Fitton may shed a light on this? Or at least would be useful to rule out possibilities?

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Nauta View Post
    Hi Steve,

Two different service numbers from 2 different primary sources, that's indeed a difficult but interesting matter...Somewhere in the process both Fittons have been mixed up. I've checked the ORB of 21 Squadron, just to be sure, but no Fitton was lost that date, nor anyone with his name in that Squadron during that time frame.

Perhaps the Liberation Questionnaire of Fitton may shed a light on this? Or at least would be useful to rule out possibilities?

Regards,
    Hans
    Greetings,

I'm not sure if this makes things better worse....

I've got sgt s fitton as pilot of wellington 1c - DV570 'M', FTR from a raid on Tobruk 12/13 oct 1942. (RAF Bomber losses in the middle east and meditteranean)

His name appears in the jan 21st issue of Flight along with the rest of the crew (including my father sgt p c cottle) listed as missing believed kia. Then on the april 8th 1943 issue as - previously reported missing now reported pow.

I believe s fitton (1017549), pow no 260473 was in Luft 3.

Regards, geoff cottle

Thanks

Hello Steve,

About english flyer C.E. (sic) Fitton, 1075399 : "Leichenteile am 1.8.43 in der Nordsee beim Wesselburenerkoogloch in völlig zerfallenem Zurstand durch die Hafenschutzabteilung augefunden". "Die bei den Leichenresten gefundenen gegenstände sind an DULAG-LUFT in Oberursel übersandt worden."

I'll let others translate from German.

I can only suggest the presumed initials C.E. were in fact "Church of England" and obviously not his initials.

Joss

Thanks

Air 78

Jeffrey Fitton 1075399
    Stanley Fitton 1017549