Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpl of Signal Branch awarded BEM serving at RAF Eastleigh 1960-1961

Thanks

Default Cpl of Signal Branch awarded BEM serving at RAF Eastleigh 1960-1961

Hi all,

I would like to ask for help with another "long shot".

According to reminiscences amongst several Cpls serving in the Land Rescue Team of RAF Eastleight in 1960-1961 was one from the RAF Signal Section, strong man, who was awarded BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL during emergency in Singapore.

I tried Mr. Google and also list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ne...e_World_War_II

but no luck...

From different source I have a list of possible members of LRT in 1961 but again no luck:

Cpl Lamprey
    Cpl Wood
    Cpl T. Vickers
    Cpl Bird
    Cpl Dodd
    Cpl Tod

Anyone can help me to find this man when I have no surname? Any help or advice much appreciate.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

Good Morning.

A couple of possible routes for you to follow. First, however, when you say 'the emergency in Singapore', do you mean the capture of Singapore in 1942 and its subsequent occupation by the Japanese or are you referring to the campaign called 'The Malayan Emergency' which included Singapore and which ran from 1947ish to 1960? If its the war, the award of a BEM to an NCO will appear in Maton's book 'Honour The Air Forces'.

If the corporal in question was a member of the LRT, there might be some mention of him in the RAF Form 540 for RAF Eastleigh, either because of an incident in which the LRT was involved or if the Form 540 actually records 'movements' (of personnel) in and out of the station on posting.

The LRT might have some living associates who retain connections with the current day RAF mountain rescue teams.

Finally and though it will be a lengthy trawl, a search of the London Gazette will help but the size of that search will depend on your answer to my first question.

If you let me know, I'll then do a quick trawl of Maton's book for the surnames you list above.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin, thanks for your ideas.
    Your question is the good one, I had somehow expected that it was 1947-1960 but I am not sure:(

The exact text from the reminiscence is:
    One corporal was in the Signals, a very strong man decorated with the BEM for his action in the riots in Singapore.

As it was written by former Czech (Yes Mr. Zeleny again:-) I am not sure if we are able to make any conclusion from it?

I am in touch with MRT associates so it is a good idea to ask them!

Many thanks for your effort.

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

The note written by Zeleny suggests that this man was involved in the riots in Singapore and so we are definitely talking about the Malayan Emergency. Unfortunately, there were periods of rioting in Singapore at various times and it hinged mainly on the Chinese with left wing tendencies supporting the communist terrorists in Malaya and being upset by the restrictions which the British placed on them.

It looks like we are talking about the period up to about 1960. Probably the best place is going to be The London Gazette because this will show 'state awards' of which the BEM is one. It should also be a BEM for gallantry, rather than service and hence there should be a citation.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I am of the same opinion Colin, thanks for confirmation.
    May I ask you if you can provide me a link to such a page of BEM award you mentioned, to see what I should look for?

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Only a possibility

The Times of 8/6/1960 records the award of the BEM to acting sergeant Anthony John McHugh RAF, for actions in Malaya.

DaveW

Thanks

Pavel,

To clarify my previous post. Honours and Awards published in the London Gazette, which is the official authority for things like promotions in the armed forces and awards etc, fall in to two main categories. First there are two lists of awards at New Year and on the Queen's 'official' birthday in June. These two lists deal with people who have given good service in many fields of work, the arts etc. They are not confined to the armed forces. Second, there are awards which can be published at anytime and might relate to specific acts of gallantry - say saving life after a major accident/disaster. They can also be longer lists for those engaged (mostly armed forces) who have had their gallant or meritorious service recognised during some war/conflict eg Iraq or Afghanistan.

I have no record of when awards were made for services in Malaya/Singapore and so I can't give you a link because I don't have any idea when the awards were made. Unless somebody has a comprehensive set of London Gazettes, I think it might be a case of going through the volumes for the late 1950s. Hopefully someone will have a better idea!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,
    many thanks, well I will make a try but I am quite pesimistic at the moment - so many possibilities and only few inputs.

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

There were a large number of BEMs to the RAF for service in Malaya. Over the years I have compiled a roll of all BEMs gazetted post-war. None of the names listed in the opening posting feature in this record.

Jim

Thanks

Jim many thanks for your check.
    May I ask you for one more check pls?
    If I will guess the period 1950-1960, how many Cpls or lower ranks were awarded BEM for service in Malaya?

TIA

Pavel