Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCAF Goblin

Thanks

Default RCAF Goblin

Good Morning All,

Knowing that the fleet was SOC on 21 Apr 42, I was wondering what happened to 3 following Canadian Goblins:

336 was SOC on 22 Sep 41. Was it after an accident?
    345 is known to have been damaged in an accident (Cat.B) on 5 Aug 41 at Dartmouth. I imagine the aircraft was not repaired and SOC on 5 Mar 42. Who was the pilot?
    346 is also known to have been damaged in accident (Cat.B) on 29 Jul 41. at Lawrencetown (NS). As for the one above, probably not repaired and was SOC on 5 Mar 42. Who was the pilot?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.

Phil

Thanks

Dakota is the man to ask here Phil. I see you already checked the s/ns, which are available on Bill Walker's site.

Hey Chris, long time no talk. Can you help?
    David

Thanks

From the RCAF Record Cards:

336 has no accident recorded. It was transferred to EAC along with 118 (F) Sdn in July 1941, the request to scrap from No. 4 RD at Scoudouc was approved the day before it was written off. The final disposition was "spares and produce". Possibly just worn out when it arrived on the east coast.

The pilot in 345 is reported as F/O Guile, or maybe Yuile. The entry is hand written. It was assigned to Clark Ruse Aircraft for repairs on 20 August 1941, then to No. 4 RD for scrapping on 8 September 1941. The request to scrap from 4 RD was approved on 5 March 1942.

The pilot in 346 is reported as P/O C.G. Pennock. The engine had failed, and the pilot hit trees while attempting a forced landing. Originally reported as Category B in the 118 Sdn report of 30 July 1941. The aircraft was assigned to 4 RD on 8 September 1941, for reduction to spares. The request to scrap was also approved on 5 March 1942. I can't read the TO number on the photo copies I have of the cards, but it is possible that one TO covered both 345 and 346.

The dates for things like approval to scrap really reflect the day the paper moved. The actual aircraft could have been scrapped previously, with the parts held at 4 RD waiting for the final paperwork to arrive.

Thanks

Thanks Bill, great stuff.
    Phil

Thanks

Well done Bill. I didn't know you had access to the cards too, but should have guessed.
    David

Thanks

I have copies of some cards David, and I get a few more on each visit to Rockcliffe. Dakota has the accident cards, and may have more info on 336.

Thanks

G'day Chaps

Sorry for not answering sooner. I'm extremely busy working on a military memorial and dedication service to be held on the 7th of November at 5 Wing Goose Bay, Labrador.

Goblin s/n 336 flew into power lines and crashed while practicing low level surprise attacks near Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia on the 23rd of July 1941.That was some surprise but for the wrong reason (-:

The aircraft was serving with No. 118 (F) Squadron at the time of accident. Lawrencetown is in the Annapolis Valley west of Greenwood.

Further details if requested.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default Goblin Prangs

G'day

Goblin s/n 345 was serving with No. 118 (F) Squadron, when it overturned after the landing gear collapsed on touch down at R.C.A.F. Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on the 5th of August 1941. The aircraft was repaired.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks Chris,
    Can you please confirm the identity of the pilots involved in those accident?
    Thanks
    Phil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Listemann View Post
    Thanks Chris,
    Can you please confirm the identity of the pilots involved in those accident?
    Thanks
    Phil
    C/1328 P/O Arthur McLoud Yuile (I have awesome high res photos of the aircraft on the runway on its belly, and also of Yuile with the aircraft prior to and after accident).

J/5128 F/O Clifford George Pennock