Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German night fighter controller running commentary

Thanks

Default German night fighter controller running commentary

I've seen many references to the running commentary provided for night fighters by the German controller when tracking a bomber stream. Are these commentaries archived anywhere, for example the intercepts of this commentary? Where is the best place to find more information or summaries for particular raids?

I'm particularly interested in the records for 21 January raid on Magdeburg.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Thanks

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding of "running commentary" was the relaying of coordinates obtained by radar to nightfighters trying to infiltrate the bomber stream. I doubt they were archived, and if they were, I suspect you'd find it dull reading. It was probably very efficient locating info only and not "commentary" in the sporting sense.
    David

Thanks

You're probably right, there's unlikely to be an archive though some of the commentaries I've read about would have made great reading, especially when the "ghost" controllers came along.

Perhaps a better question is, what sources did the people who quoted the running commentary rely on?

Thanks

Hi Tim - Interception and Tactics Reports include an outline on German Signals and Radio. The BC ORB Appendices in Air 24 also include a Signals Intelligence report for each operation, which gives a good outline of a raid from the German perspective (example uploaded for Berlin, 20/21 Jan 44).

HTH,

Richard
    Last edited by Richard; 6th October 2014 at 21:23. Reason: updated photo

Thanks

Thanks Richard, that's excellent, it's exactly what I was after. And only one day away from the one I'm looking for. Off to TNA I go!

Thanks

Which op are you looking for, Tim?

Thanks

21 January 1944 raid on Magdeburg, and in particular the Berlin spoof raid that was attempted as a decoy (but I don't expect to get much for that).

Thanks

Hi Tim,

You'll find these in the so-called B.M.P. reports in Air 14. During the research of the Nachtjagd War Diaries 2nd edition, over the last few years I've studied and analysed the complete series, the results of which will be presented in the 5 volumes of the NJWD 2nd ed., due to be published in 2016. The B.M.P. reports are an excellent primary source when one is trying to understand the tactical developments on the German side.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

As a slight aside to this topic, and it might have been Hollywood licence but in 12 o,clock High there was a RAF officer who gave a report on intercepts from German defences, in this case for head on attacks and to ram if necessary...
    A very good film but it was made in Hollywood...

regards,
    jack...

Thanks

Haven't tried looking myself, but might there be anything up at TNA from RAF West Kingsdown in Kent, which I understand was the 'HQ' of our listening posts?

Could perhaps be worth checking to see if there's anything linked with that site, in the nature of records of what was heard?

Just a thought.

Ian

ps As has already been mentioned, and while I've not seen many of them, I think the Interception and Tactics Reports included brief notes of some of the nightfighter instructions overheard during the subject operation. No doubt someone who's seen more of them will be able to confirm if this is correct.
    Last edited by ianh; 7th October 2014 at 13:03.