Thread: Information needed on 2 RAF Flight Sgts

Thanks

Default Information needed on 2 RAF Flight Sgts

Flight Sergeant (Obs.) Hedley Albert Goldsmith and Flight Sergeant (W.Op./Air Gnr.) John Arthur Wilson of 217 Squadron died on February 12th 1942.

I'm looking form more information on them. I want to know in what type of plane they flew on that day (serialno included), the goal of their mission, why and where they crashed.

Thanks
    Ronald

Thanks

Goldsmith was a F/L not F/Sgt.

Both were from No.22 Sqn but were flying in No.217 Beaufort L9877.

Ross

Thanks

Strange, the CWGC gives the information that their from 217 Squadron.
    Do you know why and where they crashed ? And from wich RAF-base where they coming ?

Thanks
    Ronald

Thanks

Operation Fuller - took off Thorney Island, Sussex. The bodies of Goldsmith and Wilson were found washed ashore near Scheveningen 13-2-1943. F/Lt Matthew WHITE - 42928 lies buried Hoek van Holland and Sgt B.W. HAMMERSLEY - 751236 missing and commemorated on Panel 84 of the Runnymede Memorial. All four were assigned to 21 Sqn.

Henk.

Thanks

Thanks !! Were they shot down ? By fighters or flak ?
    And do you know where ?

Thanks

I'm still looking for extra information on their crash and more.

Thanks.
    Ronald

Thanks

Default Info on F.SGT Hedley Goldsmith

Hi Ronald,

F/Sgt Hedley Goldsmith is my grandfather. I have photos of him (and a couple of his colleagues, although not on this flight), details of the operation, his three medals and other related RAF documentation.

Hedley was in 22 Squadron originally based at RAF St Eval, but was transferred (or assigned to) 217 squadron shortly before Operation Fuller. I have his entire squadron posting lists. I even had the original message to my grandmother notifying her of his disappearance - along with all the documentation my grandmother kept as a result of the war pension she received.

They took off from Thorney Island at 1608 on 12th February 1942 in Beaufort L9877 as part of Operation Fuller. They were shot down by flak near the Dutch coast while targeting the Scharnhorst. The aircraft (or perhaps one other seen in the area at the time) was apparently last seen diving towards a ship! I even know which seat he was sitting in.

My grandmother was in distress for many years and couldn't tell my mother (born 1938) until many years after the war.

email me andrew_fell@ntlworld.com.

Do you have any interesting information or reason for your request? Are you related in some way?

Does anyone know anything of Sgt "Bertie" Kirkham (wireless operator) and Sgt (later Ft lt) Cyril Rumley. I think these two guys could have been based at North Coates but I'm not sure. I have pictures of them both, kept in Hedley's scrapbook. original 1941 photos!

This is my first post on this forum so apologies if I'm not keeping within any rules :-)

Rgds
    Andy
    Last edited by Wobblewing; 23rd August 2011 at 00:02.

Thanks

Looks like F/O Cyril Walter Rumley (156907) was killed flying with 224 Sq. in Liberator EV878 which blew up after being fired at by HMS Onslow 12/8/44.