Thread: Time Gap in RAF service record

Thanks

Default Time Gap in RAF service record

Hi Everyone
    I hope you can help.
    On my father's service record there is a gap in time between him landing on the Continent and the next entry on his record as shown below.
    Entry says
    Disemb Cont. ...................23/8/44
    55072(CB). MSU...............17/3/45
    as you can see there's a difference of about 7 months between the two dates and I just wondered if this was usual?
    thanks
    John

Thanks

Hi John

Is there possibly another posting which has been entered out of sequence? I have come across a few of those in the past.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm
    thanks for your reply, but no there's nothing out of sequence every thing before 23/8/44 is correct and everything after 17/3/45 is in sequence.
    Mystery!
    John

Thanks

John,
    My guess would be that he was still serving with the same unit as listed PRIOR to his embarkation FOR the Continent - after all, this is what I would expect - some units move around all the time, and there must have been large numbers of exisiting or new units formed up in the UK and awaiting movement to the Continent to support the campaigns underway there. Such a move would not involve any posting instructions to the members of the unit as it was moving as a complete unit - when it moves the staff move with it. However every individual unit member would be advised of the pending move and be ready to do so with his kit all packed. Do you have a running history of the prior unit that might explain this? Of course if he was previously with a stationary unit in the UK that did NOT move, then we have the horror of the mysterious gap in the posting sequence! However as the movements of all personnel in such fluid contexts as the move to the Continent were normally confirmed by the Personnel Occurence Reports (POR's) of the new unit should an actual posting have taken place, it would normally also include the identity of the previous unit, although it has to be said that sometimes the paperwork got lost en route and confusion would reign until the administrative staff got it all sorted out. One does hear of personnel who got "lost in the system" and had to have assistance to get back onto some unit's strength so as to be entitled to their due pay, accommodation and feeding!
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 11th October 2014 at 21:18. Reason: Correction of two silly errors, thus making some sense of my argument!

Thanks

Hi David
    What you say makes sense. He was with 5407(G), whatever or wherever that was, MSU about three weeks before he embarked for the continent. So obviously as you say the whole unit would have gone together.
    Thanks very much
    John

Thanks

5407 (G) MSU was No 5407 (Type G) Mobile Signals Unit

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm
    i can't find any reference to 5407(G) MSU. I've managed to track down something about the other MSU's he was with but can't find this one at all. Any ideas?
    cheers
    John