Thread: Lancaster JB369 17 December 1943

Thanks

Default Lancaster JB369 17 December 1943

405 (RCAF) Sqdn, Lancaster JB369 coming back to Gransden Lodge apparently ran out of fuel in the fog and crashed. I have the crew etc noted, seem to have everything except where the a/c came down. I have seen Graveley, near Ely but that seems to have come from the infamous Lost B's and the accuracy is questionable. Graveley being very nearly home for this a/c and some miles from Ely.
    Hopefully an expert will see this

Regards Tony

Thanks

Tony,

The AM Form 1180 ("Accident Card") shows "Gravely, Bedfordshire" as the location of the crash. The second page of the card has the following (and slightly curious) information written on it: -

"A/C crashed and caught fire. Co-pilot inexperience and very poor weather conditions for night landing. S.B.A. training to be stressed."

It doesn't really add much I know, but it may be of some limited use to you.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Thanks Greg, it is OK folk I have found chapter and verse (and photographs) on a 97 squadron website. Graveley of course is just up the road from Gransden (excellent annual air show there by the way). Some distance from Ely which is why I queried it. They even have a memorial at the crash site.

Those official comments were a tad harsh considering the number of returning bombers that night that failed to make it in very thick fog that night. That part of the world was well covered with crashed aircraft in the morning. FIDO and SBA were not up to the standard of ILS these days