Thread: Information on Flying Officer Harold Jupp

Thanks

Default Information on Flying Officer Harold Jupp

Hi, I am new to this site so please be patient with me. My name is Steve Brown I am 67 and very interested in the history of WWII in particular both 166 Squadron (Harold Jupp Flying Offiocer)and the Royal Artillery (my dad- deceased).
    Harold was my mums cousin but unfortunately he was shot down and killed in Augsberg in March 1944. I have a few photos of Harold and when he trained in Canada, his parents were killed in an airraid in fact it was a V2 rocket that hit the house in August 1944.

I would love to know more about him and about the squadron ? Last week I was talking to an old friend of mine and he told me that his uncle trained pilots to fly and he was based in Canada, his namee was Norman Paddon.

Sorry for going on so much but it is so important that we all remember them.

Many thanks
    Steve Brown

Thanks

Hello Steve

On behalf of everyone here, please let me welcome you to RAF Commands.

I'm not sure how much you know already, so apologies if you already know all this.

There's an entry in the Croydon Roll of Honour, which is available to subscribers on ancestry.co.uk, which has the following:

JUPP, Harold Edward, Pilot Officer, RAF, son of Charles Alfred Jupp, born South Norwood, 20h January 1922. Residence: 7 Sunny Bank. Educated at Stanley Technical School. Employed by Croydon Corporation. Service : RAF, August 1941. Trained in U.S.A.. Commenced operational duties, September 1943; in many raids on Berlin. Missing, presumed killed, after being shot down, Alsace Lorraine, 26th February 1944.

There's a series of books by Bill Chorley called 'RAF Bomber Command Losses', in which details for all losses are listed. The entry for his loss in the 1944 volume, in Lancaster I ME639, coded AS-A, says it crashed between Colroy-la-Roche and Ranrupt. There's no cause given for the crash. Four of the crew were killed, but three survived, two of whom became Prisoners of War, and one evaded capture.

There's a memorial at the crash site:

http://www.aerosteles.net/fiche.php?...caster&lang=en

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to add some more.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 15th October 2014 at 18:08. Reason: typo - Ranrupt, not Banrupt

Thanks

Default night fighter

Many thanks Simon for your quick response, we believe thayt Harold was [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]shot down on the night of the 26th February 1944 we think over Augsburg, we also think that he was shot down by a German night fighter flown by a Major Heinrich Wohlers NJG6.[/SIZE][/FONT]We know he is buried at Banrupt Cemetary. It would just be so nice to be able to know more about him, he along with all the other [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] staff and crews were so incredibly brave, we nowadcays do not apprecioate just how much they sacrificed for us today.

I wish I had taken more time when my mother was alive to ask her more about him, my mum worked at the war office during the war and her best friend was a girl named Sybil, she married a guy by the name of Arthur Biles and I am sure my mum told me that he was attched to the Dambusters Squadron but again I cannot find any info on him !!

Best regards

Steve

PS do you know of the book ' on wings of war ' by Jim Wright ???

I am trying to see if I can find a copy of it but I have been quoted 450 !!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks

Hi, the Jupp crew flew 21 operations before their final one to Augsburg. This included 12 operations to Berlin. Leigh, Morgan and Virgo baled out. The first 2 were made POWs and Virgo evaded. Years ago I met Tom Morgan. He was the Mid Upper. There is a photo of the crew in W.E. Jones book Bomber Intelligence (a lot cheaper than 'Wings of War'!). I have some photos of the crew graves and other information if you are interested. I will send you a PM. Cheers, B

Thanks

Hi many thanks for your reply and information, I have photos of the war graves and also the memorial at Colroy-la=Roche but any further information would be much appreciated. I have been to the library to see if I can borrow a copy of 'on wings of war' but I will check out W E Jones book.
    Do you know if I can find out who actually trained Harold in Canada ? reason I ask is that a close friend of mine, his uncle Norman Paddon trained our lads in Canada !! also I am trying to find out about a Arthur Biles who eas the husband of my mums best friend and work colleague at the War Office. I seem to recall as a young lad that my mum said he had some connection with 617 squadron but I am not sure.
    regards
    Steve

Thanks

Default Re. Harold Edward Jupp and his family

Quote Originally Posted by motobaby56 View Post
    Hi, I am new to this site so please be patient with me. My name is Steve Brown I am 67 and very interested in the history of WWII in particular both 166 Squadron (Harold Jupp Flying Offiocer)and the Royal Artillery (my dad- deceased).
    Harold was my mums cousin but unfortunately he was shot down and killed in Augsberg in March 1944. I have a few photos of Harold and when he trained in Canada, his parents were killed in an airraid in fact it was a V2 rocket that hit the house in August 1944.

I would love to know more about him and about the squadron ? Last week I was talking to an old friend of mine and he told me that his uncle trained pilots to fly and he was based in Canada, his namee was Norman Paddon.

Sorry for going on so much but it is so important that we all remember them.

Many thanks
    Steve Brown

Hi Steve Brown,

My name is Amy Jupp, I'm 20 years old and I believe, as crazy as this may sound, that we may be related. Correct me if I am wrong but are you Stephen Brown, the son of Alma Richards and Stanley Brown, and the grandson of Walter Havelock Richards and Lilian Mabel Ecott? Lilian Mabel Ecott being one of Florence May Jupp's (nee. Ecott) sisters, which would make Alma Richards and Harold Edward Jupp cousins. Harold had three other siblings called Charles (Charlie) Jupp, Evelyn Jupp and Geoffrey Raymond Jupp. Geoffrey Raymond (aged 6), along with his parents Charles Alfred and Florence May died in their home in South Norwood, October 1944, in a V2 attack, as you mentioned in your original post.

You see Harold Edward Jupp was my grandfather's uncle.

I know this is a long shot, 4 years after you made your original post, but if you do see this, please don't hesitate to reply because I've been trying to trace my family history for years.

Thanks,
    Amy Jupp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
    Hi, the Jupp crew flew 21 operations before their final one to Augsburg. This included 12 operations to Berlin. Leigh, Morgan and Virgo baled out. The first 2 were made POWs and Virgo evaded. Years ago I met Tom Morgan. He was the Mid Upper. There is a photo of the crew in W.E. Jones book Bomber Intelligence (a lot cheaper than 'Wings of War'!). I have some photos of the crew graves and other information if you are interested. I will send you a PM. Cheers, B
    Hello Steve,

Getting hold of a copy of W.E.Jones' Bomber Intelligence, shouldn't be that difficult, problem is that the crew photo (identical, though smaller to the shot in "On Wings Of War), does not identify the individuals. The caption to the photo reads, "W/O Jupp and crew, missing on their twenty-first operation (Augsburg), made eighteen of their trips to Berlin during the period November 1943 to February 1944." The Jupp crew shot in "On Wings Of War" (p.63), has the following caption:

L to R: Sgt D F D Wilder WOP. Kia 26.2.44; Sgt C G Virgo R. Gunner (evaded capture and returned to UK via Gibralter[sic] on 25.6.44); F/O A O Colan Navigator Kia 26.2.44; P/O H E Jupp Pilot Kia 26.2.44; Sgt T W Morgan MUG POW; F/S J Leigh Bombaimer POW; Sgt J C Holbrook Flt Engineer Kia 26.2.44.

No scanner, sorry.

Col.