Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edward J Brennan RAF

Thanks

Default Edward J Brennan RAF

T/Sgt Edward J. Brennan (Radio Op / Gunner) was shot down (at 26 year age) with his B-26 Marauder Serial Nr. 43-34562 - 394 BG / 394 BS - 9th BD on 21st Feb 1945 over Holland. Five of the crew were killed and three survived. Brennan and his 4 comrades are buried at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery - Louisville Kentucky USA. Before he joined the USAAF.
    He had an almost complete career within the RAF but after he completed his tour he joined the USAAF. His relatives however don’t know anything about his former life within the RAF. He originally came from Bermuda but lived at Suncook – New Hampshire USA when he served with the USAAF he was married to Mrs. Gloria G. Brennan.
    Attached a photograph of Edward with the RAF as he was prepared and trained for active service with Bomber Command. We even don’t know in which squadron(s) he served. What we know is that he made about 26 missions to Europe / Germany but he had luck in those days and was never shot down. . His family is interested in the first part of Edwards flying career. Is there anyone who could help ? Maybe someone recognizes somebody or the building on the picture ?
    Peter Monasso
    www.crashmuseum.nl

Edward Brennan is standing 2nd row from behind 2nd left

I’m sorry but didn’t succeed in attaching the image is there anybody who could help me with that ?

Thanks

Peter, Hi,
    There is an Edward J Brennan in the London Gazette. This one details are:-

He Enlisted 1581449 in the RAFVR in Birmingham in the Spring of 1941

He was Commissioned Pilot Officer 6th Oct. 1944.
    1581449 Flight Sgt Edward Joseph BRENNAN (186315).

He was Promoted from Pilot Officer to Flying Officer 6 Apr 1945

But the Promotion date (in the RAFVR) is after his death in the USAAF?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

According to AIR 78/21 there were the following Edward J Brennans:
    Edward James, 1821410, enlisted >Nov 1943, Edinburgh
    Edward Joseph, 1394125, enlisted >Aug 1940, Euston
    Edward Joseph, 1581449 (already covered)
    Edward Joseph, 1904924, enlisted >Sep 1943, Northern Ireland

As 1581449 Edward Joseph Brennan has been ruled out it is most likely you are looking for the career of 1394125 Edward Joseph Brennan.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Might he have been with the Canadian RCAF??

And can you confirm what his middle initial J was? Was he Joseph?
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 16th October 2014 at 20:26.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Peter, Alan and Dennis,

Thank you so much for your replies. Edwards 2nd name was Joseph indeed. I agree with Alan that it must have been the one with Service Number 1394125 because I found in the papers a copy of a letter which Edward Joseph Brennan wrote to his mother dated March 16th, 1942. As he wrote this letter from Yatesbury / Wiltshire and because he was a Radio Operator on the USAAF B-26 Flight 21st Feb 1945 one can assume that he was at No2 Radio School West Camp RAF Yatesbury or maybe “No. 1 or 3 Radio School” if such did exist in those days following a training as a RAF Wireless Operator for Bomber Command missions so he must have been joining the RAF before 1943 the year the other two mentioned were enlisted.
    Here is a part from that letter dated March 16th 1942:
    “”Dear Mom:
    I am sorry I did’nt write sooner. The reason I have’nt written sooner was because this week is when I have my final board which I have been studying and it has taken a lot of my time, but actually this letter is a surprise for you because all the pictures. These pictures were taken at the drome by a photographer who goes around taking snaps as there is one of myself which came out lousy as hell, but the others are fine especially the 3 of us, also one of Len to you and one other pal Richie who is Irish by the way. We are always together have good times . The one I like is of Len & I, as we just came down from 2nd flight. I am glad that you think Lens Mother is swell so I wish you would write her, as she would be pleased to hear from you. Her Address is: Mrs. G. Lensh (or Lench), 7 Turquand St. London SE17 “”
    So Edward had two close friends Richie (no surname known) from Ireland and ??? Lensh/Lench (no Christian name known) which he mentioned “Len” from London the same way the others did with him calling him as “Bren”.
    As Dennis Burke suggested Edward J Brennan could have been served also in a RCAF squadron as what I know it was not unusual for UK inhabitants to serve with one of the other Commonwealth Units.
    I did compare the photograph showing Edward with the buildings at No2 Radio School West Camp RAF Yatesbury but there was no match so maybe that picture was taken sometime earlier or later.
    Thank you gentlemen for your help I hope some others are able to follow up with additional info.
    Regards,
    Peter Monasso
    Dutch Air War Historian
    www.crashmuseum.nl

Thanks

I meant he might have been a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, with an RCAF serial number. It was common enough at one time or another that American citizens would cross the border and join the Canadian forces, others joined the Royal Air Force. Then further to that, as an RAF or RCAF member, he could have served in an RAF or RCAF or RAAF or RNZAF (etc) Squadron.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Edward J Brennan

Hello Dennis
    Yes I understand what you mean but in case of Edward J. Brennan it was just the other way round. He was not an American citizen but British because he came from Bermuda. What we know is that he first started his flying career in England so he had a regular RAF number without starting with "R" as for Canadians with the RCAF. After ending his “RAF career” (and maybe joining the RCAF RAAF or RNZAF) he went to the USA enlisting the USAAF.
    Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Ah. The penny drops. Ok. That is strange.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Might get somewhere, with the biographical info provided here:

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/New...I/3/1297/79289

Col.

Thanks

Dear Col,

Thank you for putting this link into the forum. Yes that’s the story. Paul Vallis find us on internet and we invited him and his father and we showed them around the places of historical interest at the crash site and museum on 17th May 2014. The man on the first picture is Herman ter Horst the farmer on which soil the a/c crashed. The lady eye witness “Lidey Klein” must be “Lidy Klein Ikink”. Jan Geerdinck is not on the picture he is the chairman of our Foundation and I’m the secretary.
    Peter Monasso
    AVOG’Crash Museum (Foundation)
    www.crashmuseum.nl