Thread: 192 Squadron Foulsham

Thanks

Default 192 Squadron Foulsham

Hi, I found an old archived page from the CBoard Forum of RAF Commands. It redirected me to this forum. It is regarding a Halifax crash in Norfolk. March 1945. The author was David Williams.

""RE: HALIFAX CRASH IN NORFOLK
    Author: David Williams (Guest)
    Time Stamp:
    19:45:35 26 March 2006
    On 4th March, 1945, A Halifax LV 995 was shot down by a single German fighter when returning to Foulsham, Norfolk. It crashed on Ainsley's chicken farm in the village of Fulmodeston and caught fire. It had it been on an electronic intelligence operations.It seems that five of the crew dieD, two were injured and one other F.O. R.G.Todd jumped and survived. F.O. E.D.Roberts and Sergeant K.A.Sutcliffe were taken to Ely and from there Roberts went to the East Grinstead Special Burns Unit and was not discharged until 1947.
    It was said that one survivor turned up in the village some years ago but there's no-one who can remember meeting him.
    The time has come to erect some kind of memorial or reference to these men in the village of Fulmodestone. Does anyone out there know anything about Electronic Intelligence Operations?
    It would be fitting to track down some releatives of these men but knowing where and how to start is a difficulty.
    Please make contact if you can help.

RE: HALIFAX CRASH IN NORFOLK
    Author: Bill (Guest)
    Time Stamp:
    09:01:07 27 March 2006

An account of this incident, along with a photograph of the crew and the crash site, appears on page 178/9/80 of the book,"Confounding the Reich" by Martin W Bowman and Tom Cushing.
    It might be useful to contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum to see if they have any more info.

RE: HALIFAX CRASH IN NORFOLK
    Author: Henk Welting (Guest)
    Time Stamp:
    10:11:04 27 March 2006

Regards,
    Henk. ""

One of the flight crew was Richard Grapes. His son is married to my husband's cousin.

Any chance of getting in touch with David Williams? His post was a long time ago.

Thank you for your time

Thanks

I do not have David Williams' contact details, but I do have some gen on the incident. I met the relative of Richard Grapes at Flixton and presented him with some small pieces of the aircraft found at the crash site in the late 90s. Flixton Air Museum is no longer actively involved in either aviation archaeology or associated research so is unlikely to be able to help. Your best bet is to contact City of Norwich Aviation Museum as they have probably the best display of No.100 (RAF) Group material in the UK, plus an extensive archive of material on the subject. I presented CoNAM with the remaining pieces I had from the LV955 site two years ago.

Thanks

I do not know if this is the same incident, but my father was in a Hallifax tha came dowm , in East Anglia somewhere.He was a rear gunner. I have a photograph of the aircraft in a beet field. hispilot was Sqdn Ldr Crotch. The aircraft has V painted on the nose
    Last edited by PeteLeonard; 25th March 2015 at 13:21. Reason: adding info

Thanks

Not the same incident I'm afraid. Pilot of LV955 DV-T was F/O E D Roberts, who survived with serious burns and injuries. Do you have any idea of the date or the squadron he (your father) served with?
    I have fairly good records of the Halifax crashes in Norfolk/Suffolk but going through looking for a link with this little info is going to take a little time.
    Regs,

BC

Thanks

Hello,

Tony Leonard's crew:

No.192 Sqn Halifax ????? 'V' for Victor

120859 S/L (Pilot) John Herbert CROTCH* (later DFC)
    --------------(F/E) A H MARTIN
    188547 P/O (Nav.) Charles Walter ASHWORTH RAFVR (later DFC)
    W/O (Bomb Aimer) V WORSLEY
    --- (W.Op./Air Gnr.) D H MOORE
    --- (Air Gnr.[MUG]) J LYSAUGHT
    --- (Air Gnr.[Rear] Tony LEONARD

See:
    Confounding The Reich:The Operational History of 100 Group (Bomber Support) RAF.
    Bowman,Martin W & Tom Cushing.
    Sparkford:Patrick Stephens Ltd.,1996.
    pp.101-4 (crew photo, p.102)

* S/L Crotch had previously served on No.76 Sqn., flying Halifax III MZ706 'V'- Victor.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 28th March 2015 at 11:21.