Thread: Getting to the Continent

Thanks

Default Getting to the Continent

Hello everyone,
    does anybody have any idea how my father would have got to the Continent in WW2? He was in a Mobile Signals Unit in 84 group 2nd TAF and on his record it says Emb for Cont. 21/8/44. and Disemb Cont. 23/8/44.
    Would he have gone by boat, aircraft, parachute,glider or what? Also why a 2 day gap to get there, is there any significance to that?
    many thanks
    John

Thanks

Hi John
    I am guessing but the most likely route would be by sea to carry personnel and equipment. the departure could have been late on 21/8 with landing early on 23/8,not quite the 2 days it appears. At the time we were still supplying the fighting forces via N France and possibly still over the beaches so there could have been significant congestion. Remember that parts of N.France, notably Dunkirk and surrounds. remained in German hands up to the surrender in May '45, so there were many possiblities for transit trips to take longer than the "crow fly" route.. The trip almost certainly was pre-planned and allowance for holding en-route would have been easier to arrange by sea.
    It's a guess but it may help
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 21st October 2014 at 14:57.

Thanks

Hello

According to the date, an arrival through Normandy is 99 % likely, to my opinion. The Emb / Disemb implies a sea crossing. So he may have arrived in France through Cherbourg, which was the big port liberated for its "high water" capacity (port en eau profonde in French) meaning it would welcome big boats / ships. Otherwise an arrival through the mulberry (Arromanches) is the second option. The Squadron ORB, if it still exists, would record this.

Joss

Thanks

For what it is worth, my grandfather's regiment embarked in Tilbury on the 9th of Aug '44 and sailed that night. They arrived in the Seine Bay on the 10th and disembarked across Juno beach on the 12th of Aug. The interveneing period was occupied by the convoy 'form up' times, transit and wait off the beaches for disembarkation.
    Last edited by jonny; 22nd October 2014 at 14:24.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thanks very much for your replies, Dick, Joss and Jonny, great help guys. Thanks again.
    John