Thread: Wellington Type 423

Thanks

Default Wellington Type 423

Good Morning. Does anyone have photos or drawings of the Wellington type 423. This Wellington was modified to carry the 4,000 lb cookie. I was wondering if it had some sort of a fairing. I am sure all the bomb doors were removed.

Thanks Richard

Thanks

Is the Type 423 one particular aircraft, or is it the term for all Wellingtons modified to carry the 4000lb bomb? I don't think all the bomb bay doors will have been removed, only the inner ones that would cover the centre-line bay holding the bomb. I don't think that any fairing would be applied - although apparently some Halifaxes with a very similar problem did use tarpaulins to provide a crude fairing.

Thanks

Hello Graham. The Type 423 Mod was a Wellington capable of carrying the 4,000 lb cookie. I am going through the 405 Sq ORB and they had a half dozen Wellington II capable of carrying the cookie. There was one, however that seemed to have been converted at a later date. When first taken on charge with 405, it carried a mixed load. Later it only carried a cookie. Was there a field Mod or would this have to be done at the factory.

Thanks Richard

Thanks

I don't know for sure, but would have expected it to be a factory (or perhaps MU) mod rather than at squadron level. It requires the mounting of a heavy duty carrier to the bomb bay structure, so what was done rather depends upon the original design strength of that structure. The heaviest single weapon in the design load for this vintage of bomber was the 2000lb SAP, a slender weapon resulting in the thin shallow bomb-bays that were to prove so limiting (as here). The equivalent change to a Hampden (for the torpedo) was done by industry, though not the original manufacturer.

The cell structure of the Wellington/Stirling/Halifax suggests to me that bombs could continue to be carried in the outer bays regardless of what was happening in the centre. It would however seem rather odd to have one Type 423 not being used for its design role, so does it disappear for a while from the roster?

Thanks

Hello Graham. Thanks for your insight. The Wellington in question is W-5515. It was part of 405 Squadron's original aircraft. It does seem to send most of it's time there, starting in mid 1941. At the end its stay in early 1942, the aircraft is still there, but now capable of carrying the 4,000 cookies.
    Thanks again Richard

Thanks

Default The Cookie

Not strictly your question answered, but I have a picture of (some) of the crew to drop the first 4,000lb from a Wellington! Also a first person write up, if it is any use.

Cheers

Alan Fraser
    149 Sqn Historian

Thanks

Default Cookies in Wellingtons

There is also a good write up on the first 4000lb bomb drop in 'Strong by Night' by J Johnston, on page 36. He mentions that the bomb doors were removed, but the main problem was the bomb rack! The first one was dropped by dint of the Bomb Aimer hitting a wooden wedge with a hammer. All the 4000lb bombs were dropped from Wellington IIs.

Alan

Thanks

Hello
    According to an article by Green and Swanborough in AE 33 Type 423 mod was first made to 3 Mk IIs and when successful it was adopted as a standard production option for all Mk ICs, IIs and later marks.

Juha