Thread: Flt Lt Dicky Bird (was: Where's a genealogist ..)

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Dicky Bird (was: Where's a genealogist ..)

Hi guys

I am still endeavouring to identify Flt Lt Dicky Bird, who was posted to 605 Squadron from 135 Squadron in September 1941 as a flight commander, a post he relinquished a few weeks later; he had just been posted to Malta but was allowed to return to the UK due to the imminent birth of his child (possibly his wife was poorly, also). Incidentally, I've searched both 135 and 605 Squadron ORBs.

Apparently, he had earlier flown with a Blenheim squadron (circa 1940) before spending some time as a service test pilot. It is believed he was a pre-war RAF pilot.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Jagan; 27th October 2014 at 16:46. Reason: Descriptive Thread Title

Thanks

Brian based on the clues on TOCH

"Dicky was a regular RAF pilot. First he was in a Blenheim squadron, which was entirely wiped out and then he was a test pilot for Supermarine. He’s flown over fifty types, including Manchesters and Whirlwinds. He was once nearly killed on a Spitfire doing a shoot up and a roll at ground level. He came too low and crashed at 200mph whilst inverted. Thus he is lucky to be alive (he happened, by good fortune, to have been strapped more tightly than he is used to, into his seat. He was injured, of course). Later with a Spitfire squadron he shot down a Ju88 in flames."

I offer up Surry Philip Victor Bird #70064 who Died 4-7-44 - why because of this: X4939 6 MU Brize Norton 1330 hrs. Cat B. Test flight.
    Struck soft on ground on landing overturned 12.2.41, F/Lt S.P.V.Bird injured

See: also http://vimeo.com/69376888

He was Born 1919 and according to CWGC married to Peggy when he died but can't find a marriage

Update can find marriage Marriages Sep 1940

Bird Surrey V P Farnsworth Stamford 7a 1368
    Farnsworth Violet P Bird Stamford 7a 1368

Which gives us

Births Dec 1941 (>99%)

Bird Penelope A Farnsworth Stamford 7a 829 Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1943 (>99%)

Bird Irene M Farnsworth Chesterfield 7b 1179 Scan available - click to view
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 27th October 2014 at 12:57.

Thanks

If you look at the Video from about 4 mins, family has a lot of documentation and a book on Malta in background

Thanks

Hi Paul (or should I say, Sherlock!)

Excellent investigation.

I agree with your findings - that's three out of three!!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Paul and other interested parties

I've established that just prior to the outbreak of the war Surry Bird was with 35 Squadron as an Acting Pilot Officer (?) and that he was RAFO (?). What does this imply? He was 19 years old at that time.

He was killed in 1944 flying a Halifax of 148 Squadron on an SOE mission.

He apparently flew with a Spitfire squadron in 1940/early-mid 1941 and claimed a Do215 "down in flames".

The family video mentioned above suggests that his daughter Penny Bird lives in Sandwich, Kent. Has anyone an address or other means of contact?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian can't you contact her via the guy who paired the video on the web site?

I also found him today on 35 Sqn in Feb 1939 Air Force List

Paul