Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferry pilots

Thanks

Default Ferry pilots

I have been making a serious attempt to track the wartime military career of a Polish (RAF) Wing Commander, quite successfully until 1944/45. I have tracked him through Poland, France and his early career in England with 304 Squadron then Commanding Officer of 305 Squadron.

When he became a Ferry pilot (early 1944 to the end of the war) from North America to Britain, I have come to a dead stop!

Can anyone suggest a source of information on the specific flights he made?

If it helps, his name is Marian Kucharski - service number P-0136and he was a Squadron Leader then Wing Commander

Thank you

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

The records you need are held by the Directorate of History and Heritage in Ottawa. The aircrew assignment cards for each Ferry Command pilot document each ferry flight by date, flight leg, type and serial number plus the means of transportation back to Montreal, typically by a Return Ferry Service Liberator from Prestwick or by ship. There is usually a photo of the airman on the top card - this card also records date of birth, address, immediate relatives and category.

Don't believe you can contact DHH direct - best bet is to find someone in Ottawa who will go in for you and pull the cards. There may be a volunteer or two on this forum....

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 2nd November 2014 at 05:44.

Thanks

Kucharski born 29 May 1909 and served with 300 Sqn being awarded the DFC and (I think) either the Cross of Valour or the Virtuti Miltari - possibly both. Think he might have lived in Canada post war.

We've got the expert on all matters Polish on this forum, he'll tell us the full facts soon!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd November 2014 at 09:08.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

I see there is now a contact form on the DHH page:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-.../index-eng.asp

Good luck!

Robert

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your very quick and helpful replies:

Robert - Thank you for the information. I will try to find someone to go to Ottawa for me to get a copy of the cards. I appreciate this basic knowledge which will be helpful in researching other ex304 Squadron men who have also been ferry pilots. As I type, your second email has just arrived. That is great news, thanks for the link.

Colin - Thanks, yes, he was awarded the DFC for an anti-submarine action on the Italian submarine Reginaldo Giuliani which had been attacked and slightly damaged the previous day by some anti-sub Short Sunderlands. He did so much damage that the vessel had to crawl to the nearby neutral (?) Spanish port of Santander where it took 2 months to repair and was never again used as an attack sub and was converted to be a transport vessel. He did live in Canada after the war but died young (59).

Col - Thanks, I have my own copy of the Lista Krzysteka, which I have been keeping up to date. The naturalisation information is a bonus! Since he moved to Canada, I had not realised that he took British Citizenship

Thank you all, again.

Neville

Thanks

Certainly if you write to the DHH someone will email you back. Ill ask my contact there to look for a card. 20 year privacy rules are play so if you know he has passsd away 20years or you will get acopy of files.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for that information. He died about 4o years ago, so that should be OK. I am also trying to find the same information on Sq/Ldr Boguslaw Pilniak, who was also a Ferry Pilot, so I am hopeful of getting his record too - He died in 1978.

Regards
    Neville

Thanks

PM me your email address and name so i can copy you on the message. Thanks
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

PM sent but reply that inbox is full