Thread: Loss of Liberator AL509 of 148 Sqn RAF, 3-4 November 1943

Thanks

Default Loss of Liberator AL509 of 148 Sqn RAF, 3-4 November 1943

Hello,

If someone has the ORB of 148 Sqn RAF for November 1943, I would like to check the take-off time of the Liberator AL509 of 148 Sqn RAF, that crashed in Yugoslavia during a special duties flight in the night of 3-4 November 1943.

So far, I had for take off hour 2235 hrs on the 3rd, given by http://harringtonmuseum.org.uk/Aircr...Operations.pdf.

But I read today in the book "Our Man in Yugoslavia: The Story of a Secret Service Operative", by Sebastian Ritchie, that this aircraft was reported on fire near the village of Kosinjski Zamost, 20 km south of its target area, at 2100 hrs local time.

I don't think that the time difference between Libya and Yugoslavia at the time can explain that this aircraft crashed more than one hour and a half before taking off, so one of the hours above should be false.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Laurent,

The ORB has take off as 2225, from Tocra, Libya. (Local time, perhaps?)

A No. 5 MRES document dated November 1947 held on RNZAF crew member NZ411065 Flt Lt Hugh Irvine Crawford's service record gives the take off time from Tocra as 21.25 on 3 November. (GMT time, perhaps?)

In conflict with this time is a statement on the same MRES document that the 'aircraft, which was burning, flew over the village [of Kosinjski Zamost] at about 21.00 hours on 1st November, i.e. two days and 25 minutes before it took off! I wonder what medication the typist was on!

Errol
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 4th November 2014 at 09:57.

Thanks

Thanks Errol for this review of documents. Sadly the time difference was not a typo in a book, but is also in these documents, and even more confusing.

Thanks

Hi All,
    When I was in that part of the world (early-50’s) Tocra would have been GMT+2hrs (as would the whole of Libya). Yugoslavia would have been GMT+1hr? The distance from Tocra to Kosinjski Zamost (if that’s the one near Sevnica?) is nearly 900 nautical miles! Your Liberator would have been pushed to do that in under 3 hours?!!!! The RAF always tried to use GMT for operational flying – wherever they were. The Army, however, nearly always used Local Time (You can have no idea the confusions that caused!! And I don’t think we ever discovered what time system the Navy were using – but lots of bells were involved!!) Something don’t add up!! I think Errol is right – that medication should have been patented!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!